Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

1 cm ... it looks like his right eye is stuck near his nose..hand

i have 3 weeks old baby he has one eye that moves up and down normally but he cant move it to the right its stuck ner his nose ... he can move it a little but to the right but not a lot .. maybe 0.5-1 cm ... it looks like his right eye is stuck near his nose and he dose not move it at all, only up and down....in the other hand his left eye is normal ... he also can track things with his left eye ... is this normal and if not what should we do and what could this be ?????
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

First off let me say one thing: This is not normal. Is it something to panic about? Nope.

Dr. Rick :

It does, however, need to be evaluated by a pediatric ophthalmologist ASAP. If left untreated it could cause the eye that is pointing toward his nose to loose vision (ambylopia).

Dr. Rick :

Also, it is important for your baby to have a complete eye exam to make sure everything is OK with the eye. It is possible for the deviation to be a symptom of some other underlying problems although, usually, it is just a problem with tracking that can be fixed via various treatments.

Dr. Rick :

So. What is the take home message? Call a pediatric ophthalmologist today, tell them what is going on with your son and get him evaluated as quickly as possible.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

And....don't panic. Ok? OK.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
the eye is not that its not moveing left and right at all ... its moving but not very much ... and every day i see and improvement ... what could this say ??
and i have never seen this eye go to the end of his eye ... or even the middle ...

and please tell me what are the possible treatments and are they dangers ? and please remember his only 3 weeks old
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Even if you notice some improvement it is not enough to prevent the brain "turning off" that eye and connecting it up. This is called amblyopia and, if left untreated, there is no way to correct it later in life.

Usually the treatment involves patching the "good" eye, forcing your son to use the "bad" eye, fitting him with glasses if he is found to need them and also doing surgery to move the muscles on his eye so that they both track together normally.

This is not dangerous when done by an ophthalmologist. In large cities in the USA children such as your son are usually treat by a pediatric ophthalmologist.

If he was my son (we have 5 kids) I would call a pediatric eye doc right away and make an appointment.

I know that he is only 3 weeks old but the sooner he is examined and a treatment plan put in place the better off he will be.

Now remember....you promised not to panic :) One step at a time. Things should be ok.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
I see in reviewing questions that your son has had this issue since birth. Please do not delay any longer in getting him in to see a pediatric ophthalmologist. At this young age amblyopia can set in quickly and be quite "deep"......the sooner it is addressed the better.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
When can the ampolya start ... ??

And also in our family there is alot of people who have a little lazy eye and not very good vision in there right eye ... If this is genetec could this be treated ??
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
the genetics of the condition do not really impact the treatment.

Your son may already have amblyopia in the right eye.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Amblyopa is lost sight or its not very good sight ?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Here is a very good web page that discusses this problem in very good detail:

http://www.preventblindness.org/amblyopia-lazy-eye

As you can see, the quicker treatment is started the better the visual results.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest