Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

inflammation..bottom righteye showed ascar spaciousgridin yellowsmear

Customer Question

My brother s son has problem in his right aye and this is the doctor report Scar on the optical center of the retina in yellow smear status or birth source or shock and not inflammation Class 0.57 visionin the right aye The boy Age 8 years I want to know if there is any surgery or treatment for this case thanks

and this is the exact doctor report:

In examining bottom right eye showed a scar spacious grid in yellow smear-may be comfortably source and is unlikely to be inflammatory

Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I am not sure what is ment by class .57 vision. Do you know if the child has useful vision (see faces, read, pick up small objects etc) with that eye?

Dr. Rick :

Also, from what you are telling me it seems that the child has a scar in the very center of his macula. This is a very important part of the retina that is used for all normal daily activities of seeing. If there is a scar centered over this area it is possible that there is no treatment available that will improve his central vision in that eye.

Dr. Rick :

If, however, there is an active disease process going on and the integrity of the retina can be saved then their might be some hope.

Dr. Rick :

It possible a complete examination by a retina specialist at the earliest possible time would be best. After that exam you could feel fairly confident that everything that could be done would be done.

Dr. Rick :

However, as I stated above, if there is a scar centered in his macual (the macula normally has a yellow spot in the center) and the retina is destroyed then the doctor is correct -- nothing can be done.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thanks

this is the report

Vision is 1/10

pleas advice

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
It is possible that the scar is from a process that occurred before the child was born. There are infections that happen in the womb that leave scars in the retina and that may be what happened to this child. A retina doc could tell you for sure after she examines the boy.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

pleas

I want to know pleas if there is any treatment for this case ...how and where

thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thanks

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
I do not believe, from what you have told me that treatment is possible.

The best thing to do is have the child seen by a retina specialist or at a large university ophthalmology department.

I don't know of any retina docs in nigeria and am having no luck looking on line. Perhaps the eye doc who examined the boy could refer you to someone he knows?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thanks thank you very match ..do u want me come back to you or do you want me sent you the boy you look at heme

thanks againe

ayman balout

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
I am in Wisconsin USA. I think it would be best for the child to be seen by a retina specialist closer to home. If you would like me to suggest some places to go, just tell me where you would be able to travel (to London, Italy etc) and I will try to give you some names in that city or country.

Best of luck.