Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

my hands to keep from getting this on my skin..my left eye

I was pulling some weeds from around my porch this past weekend and I believe that I have been in contact with poison ivy. i did my best to protect myself in that I wore long pants and covered my hands to keep from getting this on my skin. The bad thing now is that I woke up around 2am with my left eye almost swollen shut. What can I do? I have taken benedryl and I am not sure if I can use a cream on this. My eyelid and around my eye is puffy and swollen.

Thanks,
Patricia
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

The first thing to do, if you have not already done this, is to take a shower and clean the area around your eyes, face etc with soap. This will wash away any remaining oils from the poison ivy plant.

Dr. Rick :

Then, as you have already done, benadryl 50 mg up to 3x/day. Cold compresses will also help.

Dr. Rick :

If you want it is perfectly safe to put some 1% hydrocortizone cream on your eyelids and around your eyes. This will help a lot with the allergic reaction.

Dr. Rick :

The rest will just take time to resolve. I think you will be ok.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

Yes this does. I had to miss work today and I really need to get this resolved ASAP. I will continue the benadryl and take the shower and wash my eyes and face with soap like Dawn.

Dr. Rick :

I don't think you need to see your regular doc unless you are having more serious symptoms......but it is always best to be safe then sorry.