Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I have had a vitreous separation in my right eye for about 1 1/2 years. Last night I deve

Customer Question

I have had a vitreous separation in my right eye for about 1 1/2 years. Last night I developed one in my left eye (flashers & floaters) . My opthamologist is not in. Last time he recommended no heavy exercise, jumping or flying until my eye had stabilized. Is this true? I am flying tomorrow Am to Disney WOrld and until I see him I don't know if it is detached retina? or another seperation. Considering staying home.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

I am a retina specialist and I believe it is OK for you to fly. Should you ride the roller coasters? No.

Dr. Rick :

You are likely experiencing a PVD or posterior vitreous detachment, a common event that happens in many people.

You have a thick gel material in the middle of your eyes called the vitreous. Over time as it liquefies, this gel material collapses on itself, forms little clumps that you can see as dots, lines or bugs. As these clumps form the vitreous pulls away from the wall of the eye. In the process it can stimulate the retina -- causing the flashes that you may see.

It is recommended that you see your ophthalmologist to look at the retina to make sure there are no problems such as a retinal hole or tear. In most cases, there are no problems, but this exam is precautionary and allows for preventative treatment of any lesions that are found.

If you notice a sudden increase in floaters, flashes of light (like a lightning storm), or a shadow/veil in the periphery of your vision, this can be worrisome for a retinal detachment. You would need to contact your ophthalmologist promptly in that case.

Customer:

I guess that sums it up. No sense going to Disney to sit on the sidelines.

Dr. Rick :

In the vast majority of times a vitreous detachment does not lead to retina problems

Customer:

I am aware of thatbecause thankfully the other I has been stable for awhile now. (meaning no worse)

Dr. Rick :

There is a lot more to do at Disney World then the roller coasters, as a matter of fact they only have two or three of them in the park, the rest are gentle rides

Customer:

good point. thank you

Customer:

good bye

Dr. Rick :

As long as you don't have the symptoms of a retinal detachment I think you will be OK. The other good news is that there are a lot of ophthalmologists in Orlando should you have a problem. As a matter of fact the entire American Academy of Ophthalmology, myself included, will descend on Orlando in a few months for our annual meeting.

Customer:

Sounds good. enjoy!

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

Have a good time :)

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.