Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

Last Night my wife dropped a full bottle of Rinse aid because

Last Night my wife dropped a full bottle of Rinse aid because the top cam eoff in her hand and had some splash into her eye. She spent a long time rinsing it out but it has now swelled up slightly and is causing her some discomfort. What should she do?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Rinsing it out was the correct thing to do. It is possible that she has some chemical conjunctivitis from the rinse aid. For this I suggest using natural tears as often as needed for comfort along with some bland ointment (lacrilube is a good brand name; any of them will do) at bedtime. I do not believe, based on what you have said, that she has caused significant damage to her eye although it is possible that she got a corneal abrasion from the rinse aid and the flushing. For this continue the drops and ointment along with cool compresses

Dr. Rick :

She should be back to normal in 24 hours or so. If not, or should the pain get worse, her vision get worse or have any discharge from the eye she should be examined by an ophthalmologist.

Dr. Rick :

Dose this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.