Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

26 in my left eye and 23 in my right eye..eye drops..further testing

i have an iop of 26 in my left eye and 23 in my right eye. I am to have a test called a visual field test done next month. Should i have eye drops to reduce the pressure in my eye(s) immediately or is it ok to wait for further testing. I am very nervous about the possibility of getting glaucoma.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

As you may already know the "normal" eye pressure is between 10 and 21 mmHg. While it is true that your pressure as measured is above this number there is a lot more to a diagnosis of glaucoma, and the decision to start you on life-long treatment, then pressure alone.

Dr. Rick :

Are you being treated by an ophthalmologist (MD) or an optometrist (OD)?

Customer:

OD but am waiting to see an MD, which may take some time

Customer:

so is the visual field testing part of making that diagnosis

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Just as an aside. I do not believe optometrists should treat this, potentially blinding, condition. I know that in many States in the USA and other countries this is done but they really don't have the training to deal with this condition.

Customer:

That is my opinion too, i was supposed to see an opthalmologist last september but he is very behind so i went back to my optometrist

Dr. Rick :

Yes. It is important to establish a baseline visual field so that later fields can be compared to it in order to see any progression in visual field loss. Also the optic nerve needs to be imaged by OCT, photography or drawings to look for pathological changes. Also a family history of glaucoma is important.

Customer:

my mother had laser treatment for her glaucoma years ago

Dr. Rick :

In addition the morphology of your outflow channels should be checked by gonioscopy and your central corneal thickness noted.

Customer:

i have narrow angles i was told

Dr. Rick :

Ok. so you have a family history of glaucoma....

Customer:

yes

Dr. Rick :

If you have significantly narrow angles you would probably benefit from a laser peripheral iridotomy

Dr. Rick :

If your optic nerves look healthy and your pressure has not been higher then the above numbers on multiple testing with a goldman tonometer (the puff test is worthless) I'd not really be that worried about glaucoma.

Customer:

ok..thank you for your input.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Take care.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.