Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

My daughter 53 just had shingles. Should I at 73 get the shot.

My daughter 53 just had shingles. Should I at 73 get the shot. I have had mumps and measles and I definitely do not want to get shingles.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

No. There is no need for you to get the shot.

Dr. Rick :

Since you have already had chicken pox etc as a kid your should already be immune and, in any event it is not that easy to catch the virus from someone who has shingles.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

Yes. However a lot of my friends my age are getting shingles and the others are getting the shot to prevent it or at least have a lighter case. That is why I was wondering if I should get the shot. My mother at 83 had the shingles in her eye and that is why I was concerned.

Dr. Rick :

Also, you don't "catch" shingles. Shingles is from a reactivation of the virus that is already in your body from when you had chicken pox.

Dr. Rick :

I do not believe that the shot will allow you to have a "lighter case", but I would refer you to an internal medicine doc on that one....

Dr. Rick :

I think you will be fine.

Customer:

thanks

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Have a good day.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Just making sure this question on shingles was free and that I was not charged $38.00
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Hi.

I see that you accepted the answer. I am not sure how your plan is set up or how you are billed. Could you please contact customer service (there should be a link on your screen) and ask them this question?

I was a pleasure to help you today.

Thank you.