Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I am a survivor of a near fatal aortic dissection repair.

I am a survivor of a near fatal aortic dissection repair. During the surgery I coded three times and was pronounced once. By some miracle obviously I did live. Along with a plethora of other problems due to oxygen deprivation I have had periodic "blackouts" for the last nine years. Lately however, something has changed - I have "floaters", lack of focus, and sometimes white items look green - only in my right eye. I also seem to be having more headaches than usual. Can you enlighten me as to what can possibly be the causes of these problems. I am a 60 year old female.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

I am glad you made it through the problem with your aorta.

Dr. Rick :

The floaters are most likley due to a vitreous detachment.

Dr. Rick :

You are likely experiencing a PVD or posterior vitreous detachment, a common event that happens in many people.

You have a thick gel material in the middle of your eyes called the vitreous. Over time as it liquefies, this gel material collapses on itself, forms little clumps that you can see as dots, lines or bugs. As these clumps form the vitreous pulls away from the wall of the eye. In the process it can stimulate the retina -- causing the flashes that you may see.

It is recommended that you see your ophthalmologist to look at the retina to make sure there are no problems such as a retinal hole or tear. In most cases, there are no problems, but this exam is precautionary and allows for preventative treatment of any lesions that are found.

If you notice a sudden increase in floaters, flashes of light (like a lightning storm), or a shadow/veil in the periphery of your vision, this can be worrisome for a retinal detachment. You would need to contact your ophthalmologist promptly in that case.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. Welcome to chat.

Dr. Rick :

The above, however, does not explain the changes in color that you have noticed. Does this "white looks like green" come and go or does it seem to be all the time in that eye now?

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat? My system shows that you are in the chat room.

Customer:

It does seem to come and go. The eye also feels different than the other.

Dr. Rick :

With your history of major vascular problems the color vision changes may be due to problems with blood flow to the eye. I suggest you see an ophthalmologist for a full eye exam.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you>

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with. Have a good day.