Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I have wet macular degeneration in both eyes. The first eye

I have wet macular degeneration in both eyes. The first eye is badly scarred from the laser. The second eye is still 20/20 thanks to many Lucentis injections. My problem is that when reading or watching TV, the poor image from my bad eye effects the vision in my good eye. sometimes, it is actually double vision. If I close my bad eye all is fine. I have had this for a long time but it seems to be getting worse. any suggestions??

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Customer:

Thank you.

Dr. Rick :

Well one simple solution to this complex problem would be to wear a patch over the bad eye. I understand that this can interfere with wearing your glasses. In cases like this I have had very good success with patients placing scotch tape across the glasses lens in front of the bad eye. This blocks the vision enough to get rid of the double images.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

What is the cause for this? I was under the impression that the good eye should compensate for the bad eye.

Dr. Rick :

The side vision that you still have in the bad eye is not lining up with the good eye. This can be from a number of issues....cataract formation, the "bad" eye starting to turn out a little bit due to having such poor vision, etc.

Dr. Rick :

The good eye does compensate for the central vision lost in the bad eye...the problem is from the peripheral vision (which you still have in the bad eye) no longer lining up.

Customer:

Thank you. The good thing is that it is usually only with
TV or reading? Why is that??

Dr. Rick :

Because that is when you are using your central vision the most. The misaligned side vision causes a 'distortion' that can be aggravating when you are concentrating on a book or the the tv. When you are just looking at the world off in the distance the distortion is not as noticable.

Customer:

Thank you so much. You were very helpful.