Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

short nap to find I had two shadowy patches in my right eye

I awoke after a short nap to find I had two shadowy patches in my right eye.Please advise
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

What do you mean by shadowy patches? Is it like spots in your vision?

Customer:

They are literally small patches above and below the iris,They actually turn blue in the shower after I have shampooed my hair

Dr. Rick :

it sounds like you have had a subconjunctival hemorrhage

Dr. Rick :

Is your vision affected or do you have any pain/discomfort?

Customer:

my vision is affected although I can see through the gaps in the clouds as it were.I have no pain except a little di omfort at the end of the day.This eye is the strongest so my reading ability has deteriorated

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Just so I understand better. Are these shadowy patches something you can see in the mirror (on the surface of your eyeball) when you look in the mirror?

Dr. Rick :

Also, do you have any medical problems or take any medicine?

Dr. Rick :

A subconjunctival hemorrhage would not be expected to affect your vision so, based on your further information, I do not believe that is what is going on in your case.

Dr. Rick :

are you still there?

Dr. Rick :

Do these patches move around in your vision?

Customer:

I cannot see them in the mirror,I do suffer from high blood pressure

Customer:

They do not move around

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Just to make sure we are on the same page: As I understand it, your vision has been fine until just recently when, after awaking from a nap, you noticed two shadows in your vision. They do not move around. These shadows have caused your ability to read to be decreased. You have no pain in your eye, the eye (in the mirror) looks normal to you, your other eye is not affected and you have no other systemic issues. You have a history of high blood pressure.

Dr. Rick :

Do I have this correct so far?

Customer:

Yes.They are like two half-moons above and below the iris possibly impinging slightly on the iris.

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Have you noticed any flashes of light or is it like a shadow coming across your vision? Can you see through these shadowy patches a little bit or is everything black (like a blind area) in these shadowy areas?

Customer:

No flashes and I can see slightly through the patches.It is not like a shadow coming into my vision

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Well, I am concerned about what is going on in your case. It is possible that you have had a bleed inside your eye. You could also be in the process of detaching your retina.

Dr. Rick :

In either case you really should get in to see an ophthalmologist (MD) today....the sooner the better.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

Yes,thank you very much,

Customer:

Edward

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Best of luck to you.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.