Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

About 3 months ago I woke up and had blurred vision in my left

About 3 months ago I woke up and had blurred vision in my left eye. I played golf that day and it appeared something was in the center of my left eye- very blurred. I closed my right eye and could not hardly see anything. With both eyes open, I could not recognize someone 100 ft away that i knew. I had no depth perception and could not read the slope of the greens.-this lasted about 4 hours and went away. this has happened 3 times in the past 5 months. The last time it happened again, right in the center of my left eye. If i looked in the mirror with my right eye closed, i could barely see my face. I went to an Opthmologist and he said I had a cataract in my left eye right over my lens. I scheduled cataract surgery. I'm concerned because the blurred vision problem went away after 6 days. I have clear vision since friday. I have an appt with another Eye Dr. on thursday. I don't think this is the way a cataract is. Could this be a floater right over my lens for 4 or 5 days and then disappear? Help me here
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick : Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
Customer:

I'm waiting for the answer

Dr. Rick :

hi. Just reviewing your question......

Customer:

ok thanks, XXXXX XXXXX this

Dr. Rick :

Yes, it is possible for a floater to cover the center of your vision and then go away, but it would be rare for it to float into the same spot a couple of times and do the same thing.

Customer:

Does it sound like a cataract

Dr. Rick :

A cataract however, especially some types of cataracts, can have just a little pinhole of a clear spot in them that you can sometimes see through and at other times not.

Dr. Rick :

Visine, as you may have already found out, won't help at all :)

Dr. Rick :

I think you are doing the right thing by getting another exam and further opinions, like you are doing here...

Customer:

So its possible to have a cataract and have clear vision and light does'nt bother me now.

Dr. Rick :

From a retina point of view, it is possible that you have, in addition to the cataract, problems with the area of your retina called the macula.

Dr. Rick :

Yes, it is possible. Is that the usual way cataracts act? Nope. But after almost 2 decades of retina practice I never say never anymore.....

Customer:

ok--I just want to avoid the surgery if its not a cataract, but something is going on, I'll find out with futrther investigation

Customer:

thanks