Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

My father has macular degeneration. He is being treated at

My father has macular degeneration. He is being treated at the VA. They have given him shots in his eye to try to "dry" it up. But his eye site is getting worse.
This is heriditary? Will his daughter get it? I have diabetes, but so far, they say my eyes are fine, and there has been no change to them from diabetes.
What are my chances of getting this?
Do you think my father will go totally blind? How far in the future to you think this might happen?
Will his Grandchildren get it? What are the %??

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

There is no clear cut hereditary link in macular degeneration, although there does seem, clinically, to be some sort of weak link. That being said, I don't believe that his daughter has to worry about it. If she smokes, however, she should stop.

Dr. Rick :

Macular degeneration does not cause "lights out" blindness. It impacts the central part of the vision many times causing a person to become "legally blind" (vision less then 20/200 on testing).

Dr. Rick :

I can not predict the future. Yet. :) but, as I stated above, your father will not go 100% blind from this. And, like you, the grandkids are fairly safe.

Customer:

Thank you very much!