Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

what could be causing kaliedoscope vision in one eye, experienced

what could be causing kaliedoscope vision in one eye, experienced it twice now, lasts about 1 hour?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you are suffering an ocular migraine

Dr. Rick :

A typical migraine headache starts with shimmering lights, often times they surround a blurry area or have dots or jaggedly lines associated with them. They tend to progressively increase in intensity and sometimes march across the visual field causing difficulty with reading. Many times this is then accompanied by nausea, irritability, sensitivity to bright lights and/or loud noises. After the onset of the lights (called scintillating scotomas), the headache typically starts and the light show tends to progressively go away.

Many people can have this migraine phenomenon without the headache; it is called an acephalgic migraine. Some people even start having these late in life, or may have had a few much earlier in life that behaved differently and haven't had any for decades and then begin to have them; this is not uncommon. A family history of migraines is often present as well.

This is nothing to worry about. It is not a sign of a more serious underlying condition, brain tumor or anything like that. If the episodes become so frequent that they are bothersome there are medicines that can be used to decrease their frequency or stop an episode once it has started.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

Hi. Welcome to chat.

Customer:

no, i have no headache with this vision when it happens?

Dr. Rick :

It is very common not to get a headache. I have, personally, had this condition for decades and I bet I only get a headache every one in 50 times I get the kaleidoscope thing

Dr. Rick :

This is nothing to worry about

Dr. Rick :

still there?

Customer:

even though I have no other symptoms you have explained ie nauseau ect? It feels like my eye wants to bulge outward and only seemed to be on the one side of my vision?

Customer:

even though i do not have nausea or any other symptons with it? It feels like my eye wants to bulge out and seems to only be on the one side of my vision

Customer:

even though i did not experience nausea, or any other syptom given. It feels like my eye wants to bulge out and seems as if it if only on the one side of my vision

Dr. Rick :

That is the way it acts.....can it be due to other conditions? Of course, but 99 times out of a hundred cases it is just an acephalgic migraine (without headache). The chances of you having a serious problem with these symptoms (everyone thinks it is a brain tumor) is extremely small.

Dr. Rick :

If you are worried a visit to an ophthalmologist for a complete eye exam will rule out the other, very rare, causes of your symptoms.

Dr. Rick :

Are you still there? Is there anything else you would like to ask me or have me explain in more depth?

Dr. Rick :

I guess you have stepped away from your computer.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
I am still here and happy to answer any other questions you may have at no additional charge. Just post them to this thread and I will respond.