Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I just noticed that my left eye is very blood shot in the corner

Customer Question

I just noticed that my left eye is very blood shot in the corner to the iris.
what could this be?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you have a subconjunctival hemorrhage.

Dr. Rick :

In the vast majority of cases, sub conjunctival hemorrhage is nothing to worry about. It is usually not a sign of any serious condition but rather is just a small broken blood vessel in the conjunctiva that looks much worse than it really is.

No treatment is necessary. Think of a subconjunctival hemorrhage as a bruise. The reason it looks so red (some people say it looks like a piece of raw meat) is that the skin on your eye is very thin so the underlying blood shows through easily. On your arm, for instance, a bruise looks blue/purple because the overlying skin is thick, blocking the red color of the blood.

Like a bruise elsewhere a subconjunctival hemorrhage will slowly go away over the course of a couple of weeks. It may spread around the globe some and change colors as it clears. This is nothing to be concerned about.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, My eye has been slightly blood shot all week. Do you think there is something else besides bruising?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
If it is just slightly blood shot there are a number of things that could be causing it other then a bruise. You could be having an allergic reaction, you might have a mild infection of the conjunctiva (the covering of your eye) or you could have a pinguecula that is just a little bit inflamed and red.

Here is some information on a pinguecula:

This is a change in the skin around the eye (conjunctiva) from a lifetime's worth of exposure to sunlight. It is not a cancer. It also can become irritated and red at times.
Here is a link to a picture of a small pinguecula. You can find many other pictures by going to Google images:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/53/PRE-OPERATIVE_PINGUECULA.JPG/800px-PRE-OPERATIVE_PINGUECULA.JPG

This is link to a picture of a pterygium. As you can see one of the major differences between a pterygium and a pinguecula is that a pterygium grows across the clear part of your eye (cornea):

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/6a/Pterygium_%28from_Michigan_Uni_site%2C_CC-BY%29.jpg/220px-Pterygium_%28from_Michigan_Uni_site%2C_CC-BY%29.jpg

If you are bothered by your pinguecula it can be surgically removed fairly easily by your ophthalmologist using local anesthesia. One word of caution however.....they have the nasty habit of growing back, sometimes with a vengeance.

If you can take a picture of your eye and upload it (see how below) I'd be happy to take a look and let you know what I think.

Save your picture on your computer, someplace easy to find it such as your desktop.
Go to www.tinypic.com
Upload your picture to the site tinypic.com by browsing for it as directed.
Once you do that it gives you a bunch of links you can use, one of which says "direct link for layouts" It is important to use this box. It is the forth one down from the top of the page.
Copy the link from inside this box and then paste it into your justanswer dialog box and send it to your expert.