Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

explaining only occurs at night and after I have had my eyes closed

I have been wanting to ask my doctor this for years but have been a little nervous about it afraid that they would think I am "nuts". I am a 34 year old female, who wears glasses or should at least. What I am explaining only occurs at night and after I have had my eyes closed for awhile not necesarily sleeping though. When I open my eyes at times, I will see a black blob resembling a spider in my line of vision. It will sometimes move up the wall or on my pillow. It does disappear the longer I keep my eyes open but if I close them and reopen them it will still be there. Now, I know that there is not a spider on my pillow. I don't think that this is a hallucination my any means. It is just really starting to bother me. I hope this makes some sense.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Good news! You are not nuts :)

Dr. Rick :

You are likely experiencing a PVD or posterior vitreous detachment, a common event that happens in many people.

You have a thick gel material in the middle of your eyes called the vitreous. Over time as it liquefies, this gel material collapses on itself, forms little clumps that you can see as dots, lines or bugs. As these clumps form the vitreous pulls away from the wall of the eye. In the process it can stimulate the retina -- causing the flashes that you may see.

It is recommended that you see your ophthalmologist to look at the retina to make sure there are no problems such as a retinal hole or tear. In most cases, there are no problems, but this exam is precautionary and allows for preventative treatment of any lesions that are found.

If you notice a sudden increase in floaters, flashes of light (like a lightning storm), or a shadow/veil in the periphery of your vision, this can be worrisome for a retinal detachment. You would need to contact your ophthalmologist promptly in that case.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you very much doctor for your time and information. It is funny the things that "patients" will let go for years because they are afraid how their doctor will interpert them. I have used this site twice in the last two months, and the information provided has been so reassuring and worth the small fee. Again, thnak you for your time and expertise.
My pleasure :)

One thing you have to remember though......Doctors almost never think that the issues brought to them are you can feel safe asking them most anything ;o)

Have a great day and let me know if I can do anything else to help you.