Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I had surgery for macular pucker two weeks ago. Surgeon discovered

I had surgery for macular pucker two weeks ago. Surgeon discovered both holes and tears on the retina after removing three vitreous layers. He repaired the tears and hole in the retina. Exam one day post surgery showed vitreous hemorrhages. One week later, I was told I needed to stay off work for one month to let the blood clots be absorbed. Is it too early to expect a reasonable positive change in my eyesight at this time? My vision has improved considerably since the first day after surgery, but I still have blurry vision and my vision is definitely not as good as it was pre-surgery yet. Over-anxious or not healing well? Dr. appt on Tuesday.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I am glad to hear that you have already noticed an improvement in your vision. That is very good news.

Dr. Rick :

As you so aptly noted it is still too soon to expect your vision to be a lot better. You had major eye surgery and, with the continued blood in the vitreous, it may take up to 6 months for you to notice a significant improvement in your vision. Also, if you have not had cataract surgery in the operated eye then you can expect to get a cataract from the vitrectomy surgery in the future. This will have to be removed with a separate surgery....but I'm sure your retina specialist told you that :)

Customer:

how much improvement should I expect at this point? I am sure it varies, but I had hoped my vision at the present time would have been at least as good as pre-operative vision. Is this a realistic expectation?

Customer:

He did mention that, and I had cataract surgery a month before the retinal surgery

Dr. Rick :

Not really. I am a retina specialist and, after a vitrectomy, endolaser, possibly cryo treatment and (not sure if you had this or not...) a gas/fluid exchange, you vision will be pretty poor after the surgery; many times even worse then it was pre-op.

Dr. Rick :

However, from what you have told me you have noticed some mild improvement in vision already. Is that correct?

Customer:

Yes, in that I couldn't see my hand in front of my face after surgery, but now I can see things, but they are blurry. Colors are washed out and I still see some waviness in lines.

Customer:

I do very close up computer work for a living and I wonder what is reasonable to be off work for 4 weeks?

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you are doing about par for the course, maybe even a little bit better then most patients who have gone through what you have. If your other eye is OK, and you are comfortable doing your computer job with only one eye, I don't see why you can't go back to work. It really shouldn't hurt your operative eye.

Dr. Rick :

Of course, your surgeon is the best person to ask about this very important topic :)

Customer:

How long is one typically asked to not lift much weight (4 lbs) or what is a typical time frame to resume normal activities?

Customer:

I also play clarinet regularly and am anxious to start up again. But how much could that affect the healing process?

Dr. Rick :

In my practice I suggest at least 4 to 5 weeks or no lifting or bending. In your case, with the vitreous bleed, I'd make it longer, maybe 2 months, depending on how things progress.

Dr. Rick :

If you work at a desk/computer you should be able to return to work in 2 weeks or so

Dr. Rick :

If you can keep from swinging your head around a lot while playing your clarinet I would be OK with you playing now.

Dr. Rick :

But once again.....run it past your surgeon first.

Customer:

OK. Thank you so much for your time and comments. I will heed the advice from you and my surgeon and even my wife!

Dr. Rick :

I better not let my wife read that you are going to heed your wife's advice....she might get bad ideas in her head lol!

Dr. Rick :

It is my pleasure to help you. Sounds like you are in good hands with your retina doc.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Customer:

Thanks - that is good to hear as well. My wife can call your wife!