Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I have a 38 yr old brother whose having problems with his eyes.

I have a 38 yr old brother whose having problems with his eyes. He has seen a doctor about this but does not believe he is taking his concerns seriously. Glaucoma runs heavy on my mothers side. Our Grandmother and one aunt are blind from it. And our mother and three uncles are on drops for it. His questions are:What are the basic diagnostic test and reference ranges?; What is the range for the air-puff test?; What causes capillaries in the eye to burst, intra-occular pressure and sensitivity to light?;What is the progression rate for glaucoma?

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

The air puff test, mostly used by optometrists, is not that great of a way to check eye pressure. Goldman applination tonometry is the best way to do that.

Dr. Rick :

But to answer your question: Normal eye pressure is between 10 and 21.

Dr. Rick :

Glaucoma progresses at different rates in every patient....there are many, many factors that determine how quickly and how severe glaucoma is. If capillaries have burst and your brother is having light sensitivity along with elevated eye pressure he really needs to see an ophthalmologist and not an optometrist for his eye care

Dr. Rick :

There is a lot more to the diagnosis of glaucoma then just eye pressure. A full exam of the health of the optic nerve, changes in visual fields, morphology of the angles of the eye (outflow channels) etc all are taken into account when diagnosing and treating this blinding disease. With his very strong family history of glaucoma and the problems he is having with his eyes I feel strongly that he should see an ophthalmologist and, should he desire, possibly a glaucoma specialist.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.