Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

My son has eye pain in one eye. He felt he had something in

My son has eye pain in one eye. He felt he had something in his eye as he was doing grinding of nails at work He was wearing safety glass and it wasn't until 2 days later that his eye really started to bother him. He went to a walk in clinic and doctor couldn't see anything in his eye and gave him antibotic drops. His eye is still painful and light really bothers him. He does have a cold or allergies as he is congested. Should he see an optomtrists or a doctor
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

It is possible for a fragment of metal to get into his eye even if he was wearing safety glasses

Dr. Rick :

And, a general doctor doesn't have the training or equipment to diagnose and treat this type of problem.

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like he may have inflammation inside his eye (anterior uveitis), a corneal abrasion or possibly even a corneal ulcer. It would be unusual for a piece of metal to actually puncture, and go inside, his eyeball when wearing safety glasses.....but it is possible.....

Customer:

So I should take him to his optomtrist? Could the sensitivity to light be caused by a viral infection

Dr. Rick :

I would go to an ophthalmologist instead of an optometrist with this sort of thing. I am sure if you call their office they will squeeze you into the schedule immediately.

Dr. Rick :

yes, viral infections can, in some cases, cause light sensitivity, but with his history I would bet on a corneal foreign body etc.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

Yes but what is the difference between an optomtrist and a ophthalmologist

Dr. Rick :

Ahhhhh....very good question.....

Dr. Rick :

In a nutshell, an ophthalmologist is an MD, a surgeon and can treat all eye problems. An optometrist is not.....

Dr. Rick :

and can't.....

Dr. Rick :

but you usually pay the same price to see either one.

Customer:

Okay thanks

Dr. Rick :

If it was my son, I would see an ophthalmologist

Dr. Rick :

my pleasure.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.