Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I have pockets of fluid that accumulate under my eyes. I first

I have pockets of fluid that accumulate under my eyes. I first noticed it about 5 years ago (I'm 63) and it has become more noticable. What is the cause, if not normal aging, and what can I do to get rid of it? Thanks

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you have orbital fat prolapse. This is a benign condition.

With age the thin, tough membrane (orbital septum) that keeps the normal fat pad in place behind your eye becomes weak and tears. When this happens you start to notice the swelling, or bags, under your eyes. It is nothing to worry about.

The only way to treat this problem is with surgery, called a blepharoplasty. Many times it can be done in a procedure room in the ophthalmologist’s office. This is where I do the majority of cases myself.

Dr. Rick :

The amount of orbital fat that prolapses can vary from day to day so that it seems like it is from the accumulation of fluids, however in the large majority of cases it is from a weak orbital septum.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.