Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon

My 3 year old son came down with hand, foot, mouth disease.

My 3 year old son came down with hand, foot, mouth disease. After the fever broke, we noticed his left eye goes crosseyed. I researched online and found that I believe he has 6th cranial nerve palsy. I have a message left at his doctors but I am wondering in the meantime if we should patch his good eye so that he can retrain the 'lazy' one. The fever has been gone now for a few days.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer:

Sorry about your son's illness. In general, the eye muscle weakness including a sixth nerve palsy is due to the irritation of the nerve(s), and should resolve slowly over few weeks with supportive treatment (including fluid hydration) of any dehydration complication of the hand, foot, mouth disease caused by a viral infection. The most important evaluation for the lazy eye at this time is to exclude the presence of any other brain/eye abnormality including orbital lesion or secondary bacterial infection. The eye doctor should determine such possibility easily. So, I suggest that you take the child to the eye doctor for evaluation as soon as possible. The lazy eye will slowly resolved in few weeks. Patching the good eye for 3 hours each day can be beneficial by forcing the use of the lazy eye and recovery of eye muscle strength. In addition, I suggest that you instill preservative free tear drop such as Refresh plus or Genteal tear drop into each eye 4 times daily to improve corneal clarity and hence reduce blurred vision.

It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.