Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

One week ago I had PRK surgery to correct my vision. I had

One week ago I had PRK surgery to correct my vision. I had it done with a well-respected clinic. I have since been told that I have an 'infiltration' in my right eye. I understand that to mean that I have an infection. Is that correct?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 3 years ago.

Doctor DanB :

Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?

Customer:

Yes.

Doctor DanB :

Yes, you are correct. An infiltration in the eye is an infection. What kind of antibiotic did you get prescribed and how often are you applying it?

Customer:

I was prescribed polytrimethoprim. I am using it in the right eye one drop every 2 hours - waking hours.

Doctor DanB :

Polytrimethoprim? Did the doctor say this is a serious infection? How much is it affecting your vision?

Customer:

The reason I have asked you this question is that the staff member who checked my eyes 6 days after the surgery told me that I had an infection in my right eye. The next day when I spoke to the Dr who had done the surgery - I was concerned about my eye and had called to talk to him about my concerns - told me quite strongly that I did not have an infection, I had an 'infiltrate'. He questioned that I had even been told by his staff member that I had an infection.

Doctor DanB :

That's strange. For all intents and purposes, an infiltrate is an infection. An infiltrate is a collection of white blood cells and microorganisms (bacteria or virus or fungus, but if you're being treated with antibiotics, then presumably they suspect a bacterial infiltrate. It sounds like they are trying to play a semantical game with you to lessen your worry about having an infection, to be quite honest.

Customer:

Yes, I think that is what is happening. I appreciate your response. I will make an appointment with an optometrist to see me personally. I have not gone to my own optometrist because I am currently living in a city away from home.

Doctor DanB :

If you don't mind my opinion, if you're going to get a second opinion, I would seek out an ophthalmologist. The reason being is optometrists don't do refractive surgery (in most states anyway), and an ophthalmologist is an eye surgeon and would be more likely to give you the best answer you seek.

Customer:

You wrote Polytrimethoprim with a question mark. Do you not think that is an appropriate medicine to be taking in this situation?

Doctor DanB :

If I'm the surgeon and I just operated on a patient and am wanting to make sure I treat an infiltrate with an antibiotic that I can have confidence will kill the bugs that may be in there, I wouldn't choose polytrimethoprim. It's an antibiotic that often has resistance built up to it.

Customer:

I appreciate your advice. Can you suggest any other questions that I should ask an ophthalmologist when I see one?

Doctor DanB :

Yes, I would ask if this is truly an infection of this is just a scarring process that looks like an infection. I would also ask if it needs to be cultured and if it is currently vision threatening.

Customer:

As I may not be able to get an appointment quickly with an ophthalmologist, is there anything I should do in the next few days?

Doctor DanB :

I would continue with the antibiotic as you are and if the eye gets much more red, painful or new discharge or significantly decreased vision starts I would go back to your surgeon immediately.

Customer:

Thank you very much. I can't think of anything else that I would like to ask you at this time.

Doctor DanB :

You're welcome.

I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.

If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however—we can continue to discuss any of your concerns regarding this topic without further charges until you are satisfied.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for trusting me to help you with your concerns!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.

Customer:

Yes I understand that. You have given me more information with which I can ask more informed questions.

Doctor DanB :

Great. Good luck to you.

Customer:

Thank you.

Doctor DanB :

You're welcome.

Doctor DanB :

I saw you re-entered chat. Was there something else you needed help with?

Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology