Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

procedure that would help macula degenaration patients see..retina

I heard of a procedure that would help macular degenaration patients see again by raising or lifting the retina. Any information any information on this would be very helpful. Thank you.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 5 years ago.

Hello and thanks for your question. It sounds like what you are referring to is called submacular surgery. Submacular surgery is when an attempt is made to evacuate new blood vessel growth underneath the macula, or the center part of the retina which is responsible for your clear, fine, central vision, and which is the part of the retina involved in macular degeneration. There have been several multi-center trials done to investigate whether this surgery would help in preventing vision loss.

Sadly, there is no evidence from the data from these trials that shows that this surgery is helpful at all in preventing vision loss or restoring vision in persons with exudative (wet) age-related macular degeneration (ARMD).

It sounds like, though, you have been having shots with anti-VEGF medicines which are proving to be the most beneficial treatments we have for wet ARMD.

Does this information help address your concerns? Does this make sense? Do you have any other concerns that I haven't addressed?

I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.

If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns regarding this topic without further charges until you are satisfied.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for trusting me to help you with your concerns!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.