Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

My husband was watching television and discovered he had no

My husband was watching television and discovered he had no vision in his right eye. He had no pain and no inidictors. His blood pressure is under control, he is diabetic but otherwise is very healthy and has had no eye problems.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

Customer:

Yes.

Dr. Rick :

ok. It sounds like, from what the ophthalmologist is suggesting for treatment/prognosis that you husband has optic neuritis.

Customer:

What is the cause?

Dr. Rick :

Many times the underlying cause is never found. I would bet that the doctor did some blood tests, and perhaps some other studies.

Dr. Rick :

In any event, there is no good treatment and what the doc told you is correct.

Customer:

Should I take him to another ophthalmologist for a second opinion? I can't imagine that this could simply occur and the eye is gone for good.

Dr. Rick :

A second opinion never hurts, especially with something so serious.

Customer:

Do you have experience with the outcomes of this disorder? What is the recovery extent and percentage?

Dr. Rick :

There was a large study a few years ago called the "optic neuritis treatment trial" where it was found the the age-old treatment of steroids didn't help and actually makes things worse. So now, we really don't have any treatment at all, but at least we don't make it worse anymore.

Customer:

Not good news but thanks. Could you refer me to the study? Can i get it on PUBMED.com?

Dr. Rick :

In almost two decades of retina practice, in patients your husbands age, very little function comes back. What he has in 6 months will, most likely, be what he has for the rest of his life.

Dr. Rick :

Yes, it is on PUBMED I'm sure. The report is written in "doctor speak" though :)

Customer:

I'd like to give the article a try. I was a nurse for many years. Can you tell me the year or some other lead to the article?

Dr. Rick :

It was about 5 years ago. What I typed above is the title it is listed under. You might also just google "optic neuritis"

Customer:

One last question. What are the chances of the same condition in the other eye?

Dr. Rick :

here is a link to the article:

Dr. Rick :

about 30-50%, depending on a bunch of factors.

Dr. Rick :

In my experience it is much lower then that, maybe around 10%

Customer:

Thanks alot.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
I hope your husband gets some vision back and his other eye is not involved.