Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Im 50 yr old male; over last year, one eye opens far more

I'm 50 yr old male; over last year, one eye opens far more when I smile than the other - I can't get them to match when trying to open both the same.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Customer:

Thanks,

Customer:

What other information do you need?

Customer:

Are you there?

Dr. Rick :

yes....sorry.

Dr. Rick :

Does this only occur when you smile or is one eye open more when your face is relaxed?

Dr. Rick :

Looks like we are playing "chat tag" :)

Dr. Rick :

Also, do you have any medical conditions or have you suffered any trauma to your head/face or had any serious infections around that area?

Dr. Rick :

I'll be near my computer awaiting your reply.....sorry I missed 'ya

Customer:

Thanks. . .mostly when I smile. . there is a slight difference when relaxed (only noticed when looking for it). . .

Customer:

No recent trauma nor infections. On statins and blood pressure meds (but was on them for years prior) - haven't changed meds recently. Have three cardiac stents

Dr. Rick :

There are a number of things that can cause this. One is swelling of the muscles behind your eyeball or overaction of a muscle that helps to open your eyelid. The most common cause of this issue is called Graves Disease. Other, less common things could be a tumor/mass in the orbit, aberrant nerve regeneration etc.

Customer:

Meds: Aspr 81mg; Crestor 10 mg; Ramipril 10mg; Bupropion 300mg; Zetia 10mg; Amlodipine 5mg

Customer:

Would you recommend seeing general physician? or ophthalmologist?

Dr. Rick :

I suggest you have a complete eye exam by an ophthalmologist first, then maybe an internist. Your meds are not the cause of this.

Customer:

Thank you. . .I'll make an appointment. Have a great day.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.