Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

Can using Naseptin in my nose for months cause red, irritated

Can using Naseptin in my nose for months cause red, irritated eyes?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 5 years ago.

Dr. James :

Hello.

Dr. James :

What are you using Naseptin for?

Dr. James :

.

Dr. James :

Hello?

Customer:

My dermatologist prescribed it for a staff infection in my nasal area thaa was causing systs on my nose and nearby area. I have been using it about 4 montsh 2 times a day.

Dr. James :

Naseptin is an antibiotic.

Dr. James :

The eyes and nasal cavity are conected via the tear ducts.

Dr. James :

It is possible the nasaseptin can cause irritated eyes as well as the staff infection.

Dr. James :

If you have to use the Naseptin, then there is no other choice.

Dr. James :

I recommend using over the counter artificial tears 4-6 times a day. I also recommend starting on warm compresses of your eyelids. This will help soften the plugged oil glands of your eyelids. After the warm compresses, you can use dilute baby shampoo in warm water, scrub the bases of your eyelashes with the pads of your fingers twice a day.

Dr. James :

If you have not had a recent eye exam, then you should see your optometrist or ophthalmologist for an exam.

Dr. James :

Please remember to press the accept button so I can receive credit for assisting you.

Dr. James :

Hello?

Customer:

I think the infection has gone away, so I will try stopping the antibiotic cream. Could this be what is causing my eyes to be bloodshot and red? I went the a clinic an got antibiotic eye drops, but they did not help. Thanks,

Dr. James :

You can try the artificial tears for now. You should consult with your dermatologist to make sure it is ok to stop the Naseptin.