Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

what causes vision in one eye to appear darker than the ot

what causes vision in one eye to appear darker than the other
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 3 years ago.

Doctor DanB :

Hello and thanks for your question. Are you able to chat?

Customer:

yes

Doctor DanB :

I think it may be easier to understand my answer if you can think of the eye as a camera. A camera requires an opening for the light to come in, a shutter to regulate how much light comes in and there must be a clear, unimpeded path of the light through lenses and back to the film in the camera.

Customer:

ok

Doctor DanB :

The eye has lenses (the cornea, the crystalline lens), a shutter (the pupil) and then has light-sensing tissue like film called the retina.

Doctor DanB :

If there is anything that is blocking the path of light from the cornea all the way back to the retina, this can cause the vision in that eye to appear darker than the other.

Customer:

i remember from biology

Doctor DanB :

In addition, if the shutter or aperture of the eye (pupil) doesn't let in enough light, the vision can seem darker in that eye.

Doctor DanB :

The most common reason for the vision to be darker in one eye than the other is a cataract forming, which is a darkening and clouding of the natural crystalline lens which when we're born is clear.

Customer:

i guess i should see my eye doctor

Doctor DanB :

Other things can cause this such as hemorrhaging within the jelly of the back of the eye, called vitreous. Clouding of the cornea can cause a decrease in light.

Doctor DanB :

I would recommend going to see your ophthalmologist as it is likely there may be some cataract formation. The other stuff is much less common.

Doctor DanB :

Does all that make sense?

Customer:

yes i understand

Doctor DanB :

Do you have any other questions about this topic that I can help you with?

Customer:

what usually causes cataracts to form

Doctor DanB :

Cataracts form from the instant we're born... the lens is constantly accumulating proteins, water which over many years cause it to get cloudy; however, cigarette smoking, exposure to UV light (sunlight), diabetes and steroid use are common reasons for the formation of cataract to be accelerated.

Customer:

glad i quite smoking 12 years ago

Doctor DanB :

Me too, that can only help your eyes and the rest of your health.

Customer:

well i will see about seeing my eye dr

Doctor DanB :

Good. Any other questions I can help you with?

Customer:

can anything be done before it is fully formed

Doctor DanB :

AT the point that the cataract is formed enough that it is affecting your vision and interrupting your activities of daily living, it can be taken out with surgery which is quite well tolerated and very successful for large majority of patients. However, until that point, there is nothing that can be done to get them better. They'll never improve from where they are now and only limiting risk factors (that I just talked about) can help slow down their progression, if at all.

Customer:

ok how long does it take to form to the point it can be removed

Customer:

on average

Doctor DanB :

That's very individual for everyone; however, I'd say that the average age of my average cataract patient is between 65 and 80; many are younger and many are older, however. If your exposure to smoking (cumulative), UV light, steroids are significant, then this could be sooner than those ages.

Customer:

well i don't smoke and my glasses darken when i go out and i don't use steroids so i will have a check so i can keep an eye on it

Doctor DanB :

Do you have any other concerns about this that we haven't addressed?

Doctor DanB :

That's a good idea. At least that way you'll know how advanced they are, if you have them at all, and you can formulate a plan with your doctor about when to do something about them.

Doctor DanB :

Customer:

good idea thanks and i guess that also explains the increase in floaters

Doctor DanB :

Our likelihood of getting floaters does certainly increase with age as does cataract formation so they simultaneous worsening certainly is common.

Customer:

thank you for your time you have been most helpful have a wondrerful night

Doctor DanB :

You're welcome.

I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.

If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however—we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for trusting me to help you with your concerns!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.

Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology