Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

in an eye exam, if the doctor over corrects you, would it be possible

i have a question.
in an eye exam, if the doctor over corrects you, would it be possible to see the line clearly if you have hyperopia? or will over correction of hyperopia make the line not be so clear? i thought that if you are hyperopia, you can see far but not near. would a regular eye exam reading the lines determine this.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 5 years ago.

Doctor DanB :

Hello and thanks for your question. Can you caht?

Doctor DanB :

Chat, excuse me.

Doctor DanB :

You are correct: hyperopic patients can see better far away than up close, but often times don't see very well at either distance.

Doctor DanB :

Most people who are hyperopic can tolerate, meaning they can still see through, a little bit of overcorrection of the hyperopia, but if it is a significantly too strong prescription, most people don't see well out of that.

Doctor DanB :

Does that make sense?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
how can i chat?

Well, I thought we were chatting, but I guess it pulled us over into this Q&A format, but if you respond to your emails we can have our conversation anyway.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
so yall can get accurate prescription for hyperopia through line chart?
Yes, an accurate prescription can be achieved through the patient's participation using the line chart. This is called a manifest refraction.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
how do yall know when to stop adding to the prescription? i am curious because i went for an appointment and my prescription read that i have +7 instead of +6. i dont want to get these glasses if it will be problem to me, but i did see the line pretty clear at 20/25
Essentially when the patient sees the best with a particular prescription, that's when they stop and that is the prescription that's written.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
oh ok, thanks for the information.