Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

hi my 8yr old grandaughter is staying the night and we have

Customer Question

hi my 8yr old grandaughter is staying the night and we have noticed that her left pupil appears to be larger than the right one. she has been diagnosed with mild epilepsy she seems fine in herself but we are obviously concerned that a fit could be materialising
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 5 years ago.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you able to chat now?
Doctor DanB : Anisocoria Hello and thanks for your question. Depending on whether there is any problems with the movements of the eyes, drooping of the eyelids or other symptoms, a mild difference in the size of the pupils is usually a benign (harmless) finding.  The cause of the difference in dilation can be a normal variant but it can also be a damaged nerve that is responsible for pupil function as well as moving the eye in certain directions or it could be a malfunctioning sympathetic nervous system nerve either in the head, neck or chest. Unfortunately because the signs of these are subtle only an ophthalmologist or neurologist can distinguish whether this is a normal variant or one of these problems.If the size difference is no more than 2mm at any one time and is not accompanied by headache or eye pain, a droopy eyelid, changes in vision, double vision or other neurological symptoms then it is likely benign. If this is not the case then I would recommend seeing your eye doctor. Does this information help address your concerns? Does this make sense? Do you have any other concerns that I haven't addressed? I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied. Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry! My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.