Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

they check your eye prescription when your eyes are all blurry

Customer Question

i have one question.
When I have my eyes dilated, everything is all blurry.
How can they check your eye prescription when your eyes are all blurry?
Will it be accurate?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

yes. It will be accurate. This is called a "wet" refraction and it finds your entire need for corrective lenses without accommodation "getting in the way".

Dr. Rick :

This refraction is usually followed by another refraction to see how much of the "full" prescription you can accept.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

This type of test for eye glasses is a highly accurate way to get the best possible glasses Rx. This type of testing is usually reserved for "problem cases" and is not needed in the vast majority of patients...although it doesn't hurt to do it this way :o)

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thank you
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
My pleasure.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
well why does everything near and everthing far look blurry. how can i see the chart with my eyes like this.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
That is what the drops do to your vision. Trust me, this "blurriness" is taken into account during a wet refraction....once the doctor puts the correct lenses into the phoropter (the big thing with all the knobs)the chart will be crisp and clear.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
That is, of course, assuming that don't have any other ocular pathology present other then a need for glasses..................