Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

I am considering changing eye doctors. I do not have a vision

I am considering changing eye doctors. I do not have a vision plan with my medical insurance so I went to a general optical shop, Eyecare Express to be exact. I thought the appointment was good, my pupils were even dialated. The reason I'm reconsidering is the trouble I am having with my glasses. The transition was not working properly and to make a story short the lenses are being remade. The prescription is correct, in fact my prescription has not changed. I typically wear contacts, but since my glasses were bent and I decided I wanted Transition lenses I changed glasses. I tried a new place and got a really good deal on the exam, glasses, and contacts. I am noticing more allergy troubles than I used to as well. I am considering going back to the optical shop for my next exam in October and getting glasses elsewhere. It was also suggested to go to Sam's Club, which is where I get my contacts because the price is better. I don't have eye trouble, except for dryness with allergies. In fact within the past few years I have been having to take my glasses with me so if I absolutely have to take my contacts out before I arrive home I have a case to put them in, as well as have my glasses with me. What type of eye doctor would be better for me to see, a Opthamologist, or Optmetrist?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 5 years ago.

Dr. James :

Hello.

Dr. James :

Are you talking about transitions with get darker in the sun
or no line bifocals?

Dr. James :

Just finished reading your question. At your age, you are talking about transitions with darken in the sun.

Dr. James :

To answer your question, since most of your issues concern glasses and contact lenses, you are better served by seeing an optometrist.

Dr. James :

The doctors who work at retail settings such as Costco, Walmart, Sam's are no different in training optometrist with their own office.

Dr. James :

Most of these doctors are independent from the store side and should not care if you buy from them or take the prescription elseware.

Dr. James :

So, for an optometrist, find a doctor you like and stick with him.

Dr. James :

Concerning where to get your glasses done, again this is an issue of buyer beware. Private places generally do a better job than retail places, but if your prescription is low, shouldn't make a big difference.

Dr. James :

Concerning contact lenses, this depends on the brand you are fitted with. With a good optometrist, he will give you different brands to try until you get the right one, usually no more than 3 brands are needed.

Dr. James :

You can buy contact lenses anywhere, even online. Just make sure you go through a reputable and authorized retailer. Since they are pre-package it shouldn't make a difference.

Dr. James :

Please remember to press the accept button so I can receive credit for assisting you today.