Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

My son (age 20) was diagnosed with shingles last Fri. (When

My son (age 20) was diagnosed with shingles last Fri. (When he was 5 he had a very bad case of chicken pox with a pox on his eye.) He has a sore on his tear duct as well as more above his eye. He was given steroids and sent home. Over the weekend he seemed to do better, sores started drying up and lymph node swelling went down. This morning, how ever, his eye was swollen shut. He went back to the doctor and got some antibiotics for a secondary infection. This afternoon I found on the internet where he should have received antiviral meds, so he went back and got some of those, too.

Of course, I am concerned about preserving his vision, as well as his hearing and facial muscles. (He is an internationally know saxophone virtuoso.) Do you have any advise? He has an appointment with a dermatologist on Thursday. Does he need to see an ophthamologist as well?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 3 years ago.

Doctor DanB :

Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?

Customer:

yes

Doctor DanB :

Your son absolutely needs to see an ophthalmologist. The virus that causes shingles (herpes zoster virus) can most definitely affect the eye and it sounds like it already has. At the very least the virus is causing a dermatitis, but with the way his eyelids are involved, it is likely involving the eyeball itself, as well.

Doctor DanB :

The oral antivirals are going to help as well as the steroids and antibiotics for secondary infection, but he may need medicine that gets put in the eye.

Doctor DanB :

The virus can affect every layer of the eye and in some cases can cause permanent vision loss.

Customer:

Will tomorrow be soon enough, or does he need emergency treatment?

Doctor DanB :

No, I think tomorrow should be fine. If his eye is bothering him in the meantime, he can use cool compresses over the eye, and artificial tears and/or lubricating eye ointment (both of which he can buy OTC at his local pharmacy) to get some symptomatic relief.

Customer:

Any idea how long symptoms may last, or what to look for as far as possible worstening?

Doctor DanB :

The skin symptoms will usually get better and resolve over 1-2 weeks time. As far as his eyeball, it really depends on what, if any inflammation is occuring to know how long he may have problems there; so that part will just have to be a wait and see and answered by the ophthalmologist who examines him But as far as worsening goes, if the vision starts to deteriorate, the eye is red and/or painful or there is discharge coming from the eye, these are signs of possible worsening.

Customer:

Thank you. Do you have any further advice?

Doctor DanB :

Just this: this herpes zoster virus has been lying dormant (latent) in the nerves that supply sensation to his eye and face and they have now reactivated. There is potential for it to reactivate over and over throughout his life, so if/when he has any problems with that eye in the future (once this episode has calmed down), he needs to see his ophthalmologist to make sure that, if it is caused by the herpes zoster virus, it gets treated appropriately and timely. He can no longer do what is very common to many people that are young, which is to assume it will just blow over. He can have serious problems with this eye in the future if he's not careful.

Customer:

Thanks.

Doctor DanB :

You're welcome. Do you have any further questions about this topic that I can help you with?

Customer:

Can you tell me what to look for as far as his hearing and facial muscles? As I have stated they are paramount to his career.

Doctor DanB :

Facial muscles generally don't seem to get involved in this; as far as hearing, I believe it is possible that his hearing could be affected, but if it isn't now, I suspect it is unlikely to get involved at this point. However, I am not an ENT doctor, so unfortunately I don't think you can take that advice to the bank, but take it with a grain of salt.

Customer:

OK. Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX

Doctor DanB :

I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.

If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.

Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology