Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

Hi, Please tell me of the aftereffects of cataract removal

Hi, Please tell me of the aftereffects of cataract removal and replacement of l;enses:
1. How far is the lens monofocal? 30m? 20m? 10m?
2. Is there any other option than monofocal lens?
3. Would I be able to see ANYTHING at closer range? - eg: computer screen, GPS whilst driving, being able to recognize one card from another when I have to pay...
4. What alternative is there (if any) when one has a cataract in both eyes?

Doctor DanB :

Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?

Doctor DanB :

Let me start addressing your questions:

Doctor DanB :

1. Assuming you have your monofocal IOL calculated to give you the clearest distance vision you can have, then that clarity is optically designed to make targets from about anything greater than 1/2 meter clear. Imagine when you were younger and didn't have cataracts: there was a limit to how far you could see even with your best glasses or contacts in. The same would be true now, but as far as your eyeball will let you see, that's how far in the distance you'll be able to see and it should approximate how far you used to be able to see clearly without your cataracts.

Doctor DanB :

2. There are other options, called premium intraocular lenses or presbyopia-correcting intraocular lenses. These lenses claim better independence from glasses after surgery for distance vision, near vision and intermediate vision... Now that being said...

Doctor DanB :

Because the lenses are able to do this fancy thing, there is a loss of contrast sensitivity at all of these distances. Some people don't mind that, but some people will not put up with this loss of contrast sensitivity and they want the lenses out. In addition, there can be halos/glare associated with these lenses--most people have those symptoms resolve after 6 months to a year, but some people never have that resolve and again, they want the lenses taken out. Because of the compromised contrast sensitivity with these lenses, people with dry eye syndrome, glaucoma, macular degeneration and other eye diseases need to have a very frank discussion with their surgeon about getting these lenses implanted, because they are much more likely to not tolerate them.

Doctor DanB :

3. Assuming you got the monofocal IOL and had that calculated for your clearest vision without glasses to be in the distance, then your computer screen maybe something you can see without glasses, if it is set back far enough (within reason of course), but anything closer than that you would probably need some glasses to see it (hopefully just over-the-counter magnifying / reading glasses.

Doctor DanB :

4. Another alternative that the minority of people choose is the arrangement called monovision, if they know they have a cataract in both eyes that needs to come out. This is where one eye is "set" for distance vision and the other eye set for near vision. With this arrangement, the brain has to "learn" how to use one eye for distance vision and one eye for near vision. The people who do this already in contact lenses tend to be very happy, but it doesn't allow them to see the very small things up close and more importantly this arrangement obliterates their depth perception. So doing things like climbing stairs, parking a car, etc. become very difficult. For this reason, only a minority of people are able to tolerate this arrangement.

Doctor DanB :

Does this help answer your questions?

Doctor DanB :

Are you still there?

Customer:

yes, thank you very much! That is excellently answered and very informative! Thank you again!

Doctor DanB :

You're welcome. Good luck with your surgery and decisions.

Doctor DanB :

I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.

If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however—we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for trusting me to help you with your concerns!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.

Customer:

very happy with the answers given and especially with the option of having further questions answered within the next few weeks!!