Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

I cut the cornea of my left eye Friday; a holly leaf got behind

Customer Question

I cut the cornea of my left eye Friday; a holly leaf got behind my glasses and cut my eye. I did not having any bleeing only some tearing, swelling of the eye and pain. Went to the
Dr. Sunday and she said the cut was 2cm long which she said was long to be on the eye. She prescriped some drops (for bacteria) and told me to followup with a visit to the eye Dr. Could this endanger my vision and how long should it take to heal? Do I need to see an Ophthalmologist?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 5 years ago.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you able to chat?
Generally, scratches on the eyes heal well. 2 cm is a particularly long scratch; however, despite this large size most people's scratches still usually heal well and don't ultimately affect their vision.

With this large of a scratch, it may take 4 to 5 days before your symptoms are mostly resolved. I would say that if you're not seeing noticeable improvements within 2 to 3 days then I would recommend seeing your ophthalmologist.  In the meantime, lubricating eye ointment can be bought OTC and used to help ease your symptoms. 

Does this information help address your concerns? Does this make sense? Do you have any other concerns that I haven't addressed?
I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.
If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.
Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!
My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I need to know how long I need to keep using the anti=bacterial eye drops and when can I take the patch off?
I actually would not use the patch more than 24 hrs at a time as patching it for longer can increase the risk of infection. I would say that you should use the antibiotic drops until your eye is no longer red.