Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

My mother has been diagnosed with Blepharospasm, and has had

My mother has been diagnosed with Blepharospasm, and has had this condition for the past 5 years. Last year she also had a retina operation on each eye, and this week has been diagnosed with some bleeding behind one eye. What are the possible causes, and treatments for this?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 3 years ago.

Dr. James :

Hello.

Dr. James :

I'm assuming the bleeding is in the retina. Is that correct?

Customer:

Hello, can you advise me as to the possible cause of recent bleeding behind the eye?

Customer:

It is behind the eye itself.

Dr. James :

Is it on the whites of the eyes?

Customer:

No, not visible to the naked eye.

Dr. James :

How is the optician able to see it?

Customer:

I'm not sure. It must be behind the retina? She was unclear about this.

Dr. James :

Ok. Most likely in or behind the retina.

Dr. James :

The most common cause of retinal hemorrhages is diabetes and hypertension.

Dr. James :

Sometimes the wet form of macular degeneration can have bleeding as well, but usually this is associated with significant vision loss.

Dr. James :

The blepharospasm and history of retinal detachment is unrelated.

Customer:

There has been no significant loss of vision.

Dr. James :

Most likely diabetes or hypertension.

Dr. James :

With the history of retinal detachment, I recommend she return to her retina specialist for a re-evaluation.

Customer:

She is seeing her eye specialist tomorrow. If this relates to hypertension, what is the likely form of treatment?

Dr. James :

With no vision loss, no vision loss is needed.

Dr. James :

With no vision loss, no treatment is needed.

Customer:

What if it's diabetes related?

Dr. James :

Similar in that if there is no vision loss, then no treatment needed.

Dr. James :

It's important to treat the underlying problem (diabetes or hyptension).

Dr. James :

For bad bleeding from diabetes, then lasers are an option.

Dr. James :

From what you have described it doesn't appear that bad.

Dr. James :

Do you have any other questions?

Customer:

She has also recently had treatment for actinic keratoses - this would not be related in any way?

Dr. James :

Actinic keratosis is a skin condition. Would not relate to the retina.

Customer:

Ok, many thanks for your help. No more questions.

Dr. James :

You're welcome.

Please remember to press the accept button so I can receive credit for assisting you today.

Experience: Eye Physician and Surgeon