Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

I see well close up and do not need glasses to read. I have

Customer Question

I see well close up and do not need glasses to read. I have a small cataract in my left eye, but my right eye cataract is thicker and my doctor is suggesting surgery in my right eye only for now. I wear glasses only for distance vision, such as golf and driving and watching TV. If I get the monofocal lens in my right eye only, he says my distance vision will improve. But will I then lose my right eye good reading vision and thus not need glasses for distance but now need glasses to read?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 3 years ago.

Dr. James : Hello.
Customer :

Hello!

Dr. James :

So, a monofocal lens is clear at a fix distance.

Dr. James :

You can make it so it is clear at distance, intermediate, or reading.

Dr. James :

but you have to choose.

Customer :

yes, the doctor says my distance vision will not be so blurry, but will the close vision go blurry - so now

Dr. James :

So, yes, if you choose the lens for distance, you'll lose the reading vision in that right eye.

Customer :

I will have to wear glasses for distance - since my left eye will see need the corrective lens, and now

Dr. James :

Some people choose to do this where one eye is for distance and the other eye is for reading.

Dr. James :

This is called monovision.

Customer :

I will need glasses to read too. That doesn't sound like an improvement.

Dr. James :

It depends on your brain's ability to ignore the blurry image and move and switch back and forth between the two eyes.

Dr. James :

Or you can choose to make the lens clear at near in the right eye. But you'll need glasses for distance, just as you do now.

Customer :

Wow, my brain has not even recovered from the trauma of high shool!

Customer :

I have chronic vertigo as well and so having one eye for distance and one for close might

Dr. James :

You might ask your ophthalmologist about this. If you vision is fairly good now despite the cataract, you can try the monovision with contact lenses.

Customer :

make my vertigo worse. Alas

Dr. James :

The other option is to get both eyes done, set for either distance or near.

Dr. James :

The surgery would not be done at the same time however.

Customer :

I cannot wear contact lenses since I had an injury in my right eye and am prone to erosions. Yes, I do think that getting both eyes done with the time separation might be my best option.

Dr. James :

certainly.

Customer :

The choice is a lot easier if you need glasses both to read and for distance, but I can read, the computer, etc without glasses at all.

Customer :

Thanks. I will discuss this with Dr Chang, My consult is in August (because he is so busy!) but the pre-surgery literature was confusing for a person who does not need reading glasses at all.

Dr. James :

You're welcome.

Please remember to press the accept button so I can receive credit for assisting you today.

Expert:  Dr. James replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. James replied 3 years ago.