Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

I recently had Lasik surgery that had to be stopped because

I recently had Lasik surgery that had to be stopped because of an irregular flap cut in my right eye (the first eye treated). I flinched during the cutting because I could feel the sting of the cut, despite application of extra numbing drops (although the doctor doesn't believe the flinching had anything to do with the irregular cut). During my initial exams for eligability for Lasik, the numbing drops didn't completely numb my right eye. Could I have a resistance to the eye-numbing drops? My left eye numbs fine.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 3 years ago.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Customer:

yes

Doctor DanB :

Good morning.

Customer:

Good morning!

Doctor DanB :

Theoretically, I would say that I would not expect one eye to have resistance to numbing drops while the other doesn't. But...

Doctor DanB :

If there's one thing I've learned in medicine, it's that each person is very individual and that asymmetric reactions such as this occasionally occur.

Doctor DanB :

Has this occurred in any other visit to the eye doctor?

Customer:

The doctor says I can have PRK after my eyes heal (after 2 weeks), I am now scheduled for Aug. 20, but I'm afraid of the pain again. I don't think they really believe me when I tell them my right eye can feel the pain. No, it hasn't happened at any previous visits (except the initial exam, as I said).. they also say I have small orbits.

Doctor DanB :

I would recommend considering to have a "trial" in the office before you have the procedure. Ask them to numb that eye twice and then to touch the eye with instruments to see how you react. It may be that you need just a bit more of the numbing medicine than they normally give and if that can be found out with just a small, quick trial, then that would be the safe and responsible thing to do.

Customer:

That is a good idea. By the way, I'm also resistant to novacaine at the denist office, and when I had a baby, they had to give extra epidural anesthesia, because I wasn't numbing-up enough.. As for the irregular flap cut, the doctor (who has treated over 20,000 patients, said this has never happened before. Do you think I'm too risky a case to try the PRK?

Doctor DanB :

I think your risk certainly does go up, but to say risky? I wouldn't necessarily say "risky". But it certainly would give me pause, if I were you. I would be willing to bet that you may just need a bit more of the medicine and a bit more time to get that eye numb as the other one, so I would push the trial.

Customer:

I will do that, I think they will be fine with that if it will help me to be more comfortable. It's difficult to be one in 20, 000!

Doctor DanB :

Certainly so! No one wants to be that one. If I'm the surgeon, I'm happy to do the trial. Do you have any other questions I can help you with?

Customer:

No, you have been very helpful, thank you!

Doctor DanB :

You're welcome and good luck!

I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.

If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.

Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology