Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

how to clear up red, itchy,watery,burning eyes

Customer Question

Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 5 years ago.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Do your eyes itch so bad that you want to claw your eyes our sometimes or is the itching more of a minor part of your symptoms?
Customer :

I could easly just claw them

Doctor DanB :

Okay, then this sounds like allergies to me.

Doctor DanB :

What I would recommend is getting a drop either called Alaway or Zaditor. These can be purchased over-the-counter at your local pharmacy. They are excellent OTC allergy drops. I think the optivar is not working for you.

Doctor DanB :

I would also recommend to continue to use the cool compresses and also the use of artificial tears 3-4x/day in both eyes can go a long way towards soothing the symptoms you're having.

Customer :

Thank You

Doctor DanB :

In addition, if these are helping but not quite enough, then you can either add an oral antihistamine to your regimen (such as claritin or zyrtec) or get a prescription drop such as Pataday that works very well.

Doctor DanB :

Does all that make sense? Do you have any questions about that?

Customer :

yes

Doctor DanB :

Do you have any further questions I can answer about this?

Doctor DanB :

I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.

If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however—we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for trusting me to help you with your concerns!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.