Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

I am getting a slight green discharge out of my left eye. It

Customer Question

I am getting a slight green discharge out of my left eye. It has had cataract surgery, but
I will have to have it done again. Is there any wash I can put in the eye now? Mostly
is it watery, but several times there has been a green particle.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 3 years ago.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Doctor DanB :

Is the eye significantly red, itchy, or painful?

Doctor DanB :

Are you there?

Customer :

Yes i am here, I couldn't figure out how to do this.

Customer :

Are you there?

Doctor DanB :

Yes, I"m still here. Is the eye significantly red, itchy, or painful?

Customer :

the eye is not red, or itchy, just a little sore

Doctor DanB :

How long ago was the surgery on that eye?

Customer :

probably a year ago

Customer :

this is probably because I have gotten some germs, or perhaps a little

Customer :

mucous, and now it is itchy.

Doctor DanB :

So it is itchy?

Customer :

right now as you ask, yes, and probably a lot of this is due to allergies.

Doctor DanB :

Do you have any of these symptoms in the other eye?

Customer :

no.

Customer :

i have probably rubbed this eye with dirty handws.

Doctor DanB :

I would recommend using some artificial tears 3-4x/day in that eye. Any artificial tear will do (you can choose from one of over two dozen at your local pharmacy); however, I would recommend not getting the kind that says get-the-red-out or redness-reliever on it--those can cause problems if used chronically.

Customer :

ok, I am going to follow your advice. I have been using articial tears, but

Customer :

maybe once or twice. I will get some new ones tomorrow and then if it

Doctor DanB :

I would also recommend using some warm compresses on the eye each morning for about 5-10 minutes. If the eyeball continues to itch, then an OTC drop called either Alaway or Zaditor can be helpful with itching. I suspect that this is likely all allergic in nature, and not infectious. Usually if it is infectious in nature, the eyeball is red and the discharge is more than just slight in volume and is defiintely yellowish-green all the time.

Customer :

does not improve, call my opthamologist. Anyway it does not sound as it

Doctor DanB :

Yes, if this is not improving over the next 24-48 hours, then call your ophthalmologist because you have to be careful with this eye because it has had surgery; it is more susceptible to infection than the other eye.

Customer :

Thanks for the information . joan

Doctor DanB :

You're welcome.

Do you have any other questions about this that I can help you with?

Customer :

No, but thank you.

Doctor DanB :

I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.

If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however—we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for trusting me to help you with your concerns!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.