Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

Ive had watery discharge from my left eye for several weeks

Customer Question

I've had watery discharge from my left eye for several weeks now and its gotten worse as I wake up with discharge and a crusty left eye(YUCK!). There's no itchiness but the outside of my eye is starting to sting from rubbing my eye so much. Went to my local clinic and the assistant physician prescribed Patanol eye drops for allergy caused conjunctivitis as the bacterial conjuctivitis drops that I used last year didn't work. I used the drops after my doctors visit on Friday and yesterday and last night my eye was quite irriated so I stop using it. My left eye is still watery. I've had this issue with my left eye before, about the same time last year and was given drops and was even made to wear a patch because the docter at the clinic said I had a minor scratch on my eye. I stopped using the drops after a while cause it just wasn't doing anything, my eye continued to water and then I believe after a week or so it eventually just went away. Help, what can I do to stop this conjunctivitis and what's causing it? Allergies, bacterial or viral?? One commonality that I can think of from last year and the present is my cats, I got a cat last year in June and then the water eye happen in July, I adopted a second cat(outside cat that comes in for a little bit in the evenings) but he's been around sice January now and my water eye just started around the beginning of June and now its July.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 3 years ago.

Dr. James : Hello
JACUSTOMER-oaevt865- :

Hi Dr. James

JACUSTOMER-oaevt865- :

Any suggestions on what I should do now as nothing I've done so far has helped

Dr. James :

How many times did you use the patanol drops.

Dr. James :

Only the left eye or both eyes?

JACUSTOMER-oaevt865- :

twice on friday and twice yesterday, instructions on the box is one drop into left eye twice daily. Its just my left eye

Dr. James :

What else have you used? You said something for bacterial conjunctivitis?

JACUSTOMER-oaevt865- :

vigamox

Dr. James :

Ok.

Dr. James :

As you mentioned, conjunctivitis can be due to a variety of things allergies, bacterial, viral.

Dr. James :

bacterial usually has mucous discharge.

Dr. James :

viral and allergic can be similar with itching being present more in allergic.

Dr. James :

viral usually has a history of contact with someone else who had it, commonly referred to as "pink eye" you hear so much about in daycares.

Dr. James :

Most likely it is allergic for which patanol is a good medicine.

JACUSTOMER-oaevt865- :

yeah the stuff that comes out of my is a bit thick and in the morning my eye is has a greenish yellowish crust

Dr. James :

It does take some time for it to start working however, 1-2 weeks.

Dr. James :

With bacterial conjunctivis, it is thick most of the time.

Dr. James :

You described as watery discharge most of the time.

Dr. James :

You may have a condition called vernal conjunctivitis.

Dr. James :

which can come on seasonally.

Dr. James :

Patanol is good for that.

Dr. James :

You can also try regular artificial tears duing the day.

JACUSTOMER-oaevt865- :

So I can use both artificial tears and patanol with no issues, always hear doctors saying not to mix medicines

JACUSTOMER-oaevt865- :

Anything else I can do, warm compress on my night as I sleep maybe?

Dr. James :

artificial tears are just lubricating eye drops without medicine.

Dr. James :

warm compresses are good to.

Dr. James :

make sure you don't have ceiling fans on as it can dry out your eyes.

Dr. James :

If the problem is persistent, then you may want to see an optometrist or ophthalmologist who can do a more thorough eye exam.

JACUSTOMER-oaevt865- :

oh ok, I sleep right next to a window with a breeze and I have the floor fan going at times, so keep them off?

Dr. James :

yes.

JACUSTOMER-oaevt865- :

is there anything that I can put on the outside part of my eye that is raw from rubbing?

JACUSTOMER-oaevt865- :

the patanol stings the outside part of my too

Dr. James :

You can use an eye ointment on the skin or pretroleum jelly.

Dr. James :

The patanol can sting since it has medicine in it.

JACUSTOMER-oaevt865- :

Is an eye doctor able to determine exactly what I am allergic to?

Dr. James :

No, usually that is done with skin testing by an internist trained in allergy.

JACUSTOMER-oaevt865- :

Thank you for your feedback.

Dr. James :

You're welcome.

Please remember to press the accept button so I can receive credit for assisting you today.

Dr. James :

.

Expert:  Dr. James replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. James replied 3 years ago.