Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

I have a three and a half year old whos one eye seems to focus

I have a three and a half year old who's one eye seems to focus in another direction at times and in sunlight she closes it. It seems like she can see fine and otherwise is a very healthy active three year old. It seems like it has been this way for a couple years already but Im not quite sure. What do you think it could be and should we take her to a eye doctor. thank you
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 3 years ago.

Dr. James :

Hello.

Dr. James :

What do you mean focus in another direction?
Does that eye wander?

Customer:

It doesnt wander but sometimes seems like it is crossed but not all the time.

Dr. James :

Cross towards nose or toward the ea

Dr. James :

ear?

Customer:

hard to tell.just seems like it is focusing not directly with the other eye

Customer:

it doesnt happen all the time only sometimes

Dr. James :

So, eyes can wander in kids. If it only happens sometimes, but not usually an issue.

Dr. James :

If it does it some of the time or most of the time, then there may be issues to eye development. Commonly referred to as lazy eye.

Dr. James :

This may be related to a refractive error with can be corrected with glasses.

Dr. James :

Sometimes, it appears the eyes are not working together but in reality they are.

Dr. James :

An ophthalmologist or a pediatric ophthalmologist should be able to determine what is going on.

Dr. James :

As well as get a sense for the eye development and vision appropriate for that age.

Customer:

is it common that with this she closes that eye in sunlight? It doesnt seem to bother her she just has always done that

Dr. James :

If that is a poor seeing eye she can do that.

Dr. James :

Sometimes it is just out of habit.

Customer:

ok that makes sense. I guess we will make an appt just to see if she needs glasses or anything. Thank you for your help.

Dr. James :

You're welcome.

Please remember to press the accept button so I can receive credit for assisting you today.

Experience: Eye Physician and Surgeon