Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

how to treat a swollen eye that is shut closed from a punch

how to treat a swollen eye that is shut closed from a punch in the eye. Every time he blows his nose, his eyes swells up like a balloon
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 3 years ago.

Dr. James :

Hello.

Dr. James :

He needs to NOT blow his nose.

Dr. James :

Has he been to a doctor?

Customer:

no, this just happened. he got into a fight with another kid and i wasnt sure if i nedded to take him to the hospital

Dr. James :

The eye swelling up with nose blowing tells me that there are likely broken bones because air from the nasal cavity is able to get to the eye socket.

Dr. James :

I'd recommend he get evaluated.

Dr. James :

And no more nose blowing.

Dr. James :

Ice packs today and tomorrow should help with the swelling, but mostly it is just time to allow it to go away.

Dr. James :

it is important he gets any broken bones evaluated and take a look at the eye.

Customer:

oh no! Do you suggest I take him to the emergency room since its Sunday and the doctor offices are all closed or can I wait for till tomorrow?

Dr. James :

It is hard to say since I don't know the severity of the accident.

Dr. James :

The concerning thing is to make sure the eye is OK. Since breaking bone involves significant force, the eyeball would have suffered some impact as well.

Customer:

He says he wasn't hit hard but his eye is completely closed shut!

Dr. James :

Likely from the air getting under the skin from the nose blowing.

Customer:

Should I give him any motrin for the swelling?

Dr. James :

No, just ice packs for now.

Dr. James :

If it looks serious, then you may want to take him to an urgent care.

Dr. James :

He can take some extra strength tylenol for the pain.

Customer:

Ok, thank you. Do you recommend I take him to an opthamologist?

Dr. James :

An ophthalmologist for the eyes. If there is worry about broken bones, then the ER or urgent care.

Dr. James :

You're welcome.

Please remember to press the accept button so I can receive credit for assisting you today.

Customer:

Do you think I can wait to see if the swelling goes down first with the ice packs?

Dr. James :

I'll let you judge since you have a better idea of the extent of the injury right after the accident.

Experience: Eye Physician and Surgeon