Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

My eye is red. Ive used patanol and its not helping.

Customer Question

My eye is red. I've used patanol and it's not helping.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 3 years ago.

Dr. James :

Hello.

Dr. James :

How long have your eyes been red?

Customer :

6mo

Customer :

i chew tobacco

Dr. James :

What other drops are you using?

Customer :

none

Dr. James :

Do you smoke as well?

Customer :

i was bothered by chew so i switched to smoke about the time this happend

Customer :

in jan-feb

Customer :

now i switched back to chew

Customer :

smoke was bothering me. it's getting worse

Customer :

hasn't gone away in the 6 mos

Customer :

only in left eye

Customer :

went to clinic

Customer :

doc looked and didn't see stye

Customer :

but today lower on eye lid

Customer :

there is white dot

Customer :

i want to pop it but i no not to

Customer :

*know

Customer :

ok back in jan

Customer :

i'm in sales

Customer :

i was washing my face in sink and pulled back lower eye lid

Customer :

i saw three little square like raised red bumps

Dr. James :

There are a variety of things that can cause red eyes. Eye allergies is one of them. That is what the Patanol is treating. You can just have regular dry eyes, in which case you can use plain artificial tears.

A stye occurs when oil glands in your eyelids get blocked, very similar to a pimple. Treatment is to apply warm compresses to the area 3-4 times a day. This helps to soften the blocked oils and allows it to self drain.

Customer :

i know that

Customer :

same thing clinic said

Customer :

6MO!

Customer :

raised red bumps under eye lid?

Dr. James :

Since it has been going on this long, you should be seen by an ophthalmologist who can look carefully at the eyelids. They may be able to prescribe something stronger.

Customer :

that moving of the eye lid made the eye so bad i called into work the next day because i'm in sales and a bum eye would affect self esteem

Dr. James :

They look at other causes of chronic conjunctivitis.

Dr. James :

Molluscum is one of them which can have bumps on the eyelids.

Customer :

is it cureable?

Dr. James :

It can, yes.

Dr. James :

Molluscum is a virus.

Customer :

i was around someone and was doing a deal with someone who had skin haning off their eye both eyes. could what i was around been contagious?

Dr. James :

Popping of these bumps can sometimes make it worse because more virus gets into the eye.

Customer :

i played basketball yesterday and my eyes where sweating so bad i wiped them and white puss was on my black shirt

Dr. James :

It could have been mucous and not exactly pus.

Customer :

i went swimming after that and that didn't help.

Customer :

yeah it was mucous you're right

Customer :

virus is contagious?

Dr. James :

For molluscum, the spread can be from skin to skin contact yes.

Customer :

it started inside middle lower my eyelid and now white dots are forming from both corners and

Customer :

what about from sales pamplet to hand to hand to eye

Dr. James :

That could be the stye.

Dr. James :

possible, but less so.

Customer :

seems like when i eat something fatty that the "so called STYLE" appears most times of the day it's not visible

Customer :

i've been under tons of stress

Dr. James :

Hmm... not should be the case.

Dr. James :

Well, fluid retention can cause any swelling to worsen.

Customer :

Dr. James :

Yes, that is what I typed earlier.

Customer :

i already knew this. I don't want to take up anymore of your time and money. And i absolutley don't want to pay any more of my time. Or ANY of my money for this. I can not afford this i'm out of a job and have this thing on my eye. please don't charge me for this.

Dr. James :

??

Dr. James :

I have given you other information.

Dr. James :

and spent valuable time on you.

Customer :

i can not afford a optimoligist and if you truely want to help me then do not charge me for this advice. i got a free consultation from and optimoligist

Customer :

damnit

Customer :

optitromitrist

Dr. James :

This service is not free.

Customer :

i am not satisfied with this

Dr. James :

haha.

Dr. James :

good luck with getting free care

Dr. James :

good bye.