Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

For about a week now, i have had a blind spot in my eye. I

For about a week now, i have had a blind spot in my eye. I have tried pain relievers and anti inflammatory drugs to possibly rule it out as a migraine issue, but nothing seems to work. The eye is painful to touch and almost sounds like there is a squishing noise. The blindspot seems to be spreading, what could be wrong?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 3 years ago.

Dr. James :

Hello.

Customer:

hello and good afternoon

Dr. James :

Does the blind spot come and go or is always there?

Customer:

its been constant for a few days

Dr. James :

Can you see anything through that blind spot?

Customer:

sort of i like have to get really close or look at a different angle

Customer:

its as if i am wearing a bifocal over the one eye

Dr. James :

ok.

Dr. James :

The most common cause of symptoms you are describing in your age group is a condition called central serous retinopathy.

Customer:

ok

Dr. James :

This is where fluid collects under the retina, sort of like a blister.

Customer:

ouch

Dr. James :

It usually goes away on its own in a month or so.

Dr. James :

It shouldn't hurt however.

Dr. James :

unlike a blister.

Dr. James :

In some cases, treatment is needed if it does not clear on its own.

Customer:

but it does, and when i was putting the compress on it felt like there was a squishing

Customer:

and i pressed on my other non affected eye

Customer:

and there was no give or squishing sound

Dr. James :

The squishing could mean you have some swelling of the front of the eye, different from the CSR I described.

Dr. James :

Artificial tears and lubrication can help ease the irritation.

Dr. James :

The two are unlikely related to each other, but can occur at the same time.

Dr. James :

The causes of blind spots can be bleeding in the eye or other forms of retinal swelling, usually related to diabetes.

Customer:

ok, would you suggest going in and seeing if a general practicioner at an urgent care can do anything or waiting

Dr. James :

An eye exam is essential to differentiate the causes.

Dr. James :

an ophthalmologist.

Customer:

ok

Dr. James :

Since this has been going on for a week, you may be able to wait until the next business day.

Dr. James :

if the vision worsens significantly, then it may warrant a more urgen visit.

Customer:

i would have to wait more than likely until tuesday

Dr. James :

*urgent

Dr. James :

Yes because of the holiday.

Customer:

ugh, this creeps me out cause it popped up all of a sudden

Dr. James :

But its been a week though right?

Customer:

about a week yes

Dr. James :

ok.

Customer:

i thought it might have been i was in vegas and it was really sunny and i wasnt getting enough fluids

Dr. James :

Dehydration usually doesn't cause a descrete blind spot.

Customer:

oh ok

Dr. James :

Do you have any other questions.

Customer:

no thank you very ,uch

Customer:

much

Dr. James :

You're welcome.

\

Dr. James :

Please remember to press the accept button so I can receive credit for assisting you today.

Experience: Eye Physician and Surgeon