Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I tripped and hit my cheek against a door. The glasses took

I tripped and hit my cheek against a door. The glasses took the brunt but my cheek is red and there is some blood in corner of the eye. No headache or any other pain.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Customer:

I just tripped and gave myself a black eye.

Dr. Rick :

Is your vision affected at all?

Customer:

No,.

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you have a small subconjunctival hemorrhage from your glasses frame smacking your eye.

Dr. Rick :

In the vast majority of cases, sub conjunctival hemorrhage is nothing to worry about. It is usually not a sign of any serious condition but rather is just a small broken blood vessel in the conjunctiva that looks much worse than it really is.

No treatment is necessary. Think of a subconjunctival hemorrhage as a bruise. The reason it looks so red (some people say it looks like a piece of raw meat) is that the skin on your eye is very thin so the underlying blood shows through easily. On your arm, for instance, a bruise looks blue/purple because the overlying skin is thick, blocking the red color of the blood.

Like a bruise elsewhere a subconjunctival hemorrhage will slowly go away over the course of a couple of weeks. It may spread around the globe some and change colors as it clears. This is nothing to be concerned about.

Dr. Rick :

I think you will be OK.

Customer:

Thank you so much. Happy 4th.

Dr. Rick :

You too!

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.