Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

My 9 month old son had a vitrectomy on June 15th. His eye is

My 9 month old son had a vitrectomy on June 15th. His eye is a little less red but is still very red on the one side. Is that ok? Should the redness be gone completely?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 5 years ago.

Dr. James : Hello.
Customer:

hello...i think i talked to you before....

Customer:

my sons eye is still really red on the side....is that ok?

Dr. James :

Let me review the past question.

Dr. James :

Does he look comfortable?
Any signs of eye pain?

Customer:

no..he is happy...plays all day

Dr. James :

He likely have a subconjunctival hemorrhage. This happens when delicate blood vessels of the conjunctiva (clear covering of the eye) bleed as the result of the surgery. This is very similar to a bruise, but redder because there is no skin overlying the blood.

Though its appearance is alarming and appears dangerous, it is generally harmless.

Similar to a bruise, subconjunctival hemorrhage may take 1-2 weeks to reabsorb and go away. In this case, it seems to be taking longer. During that time, it may darken and change colors. That is expected and no need to worry. Worrisome symptoms are pain, decrease vision. You should contact his ophthalmologist promptly if these occur.

Please remember to press the accept button so I can receive credit for assisting you.

Customer:

the problem is...he cant tell me if it hurts and they think he is blind so his vision wouldnt decrease either.....

Dr. James :

With young kids, you have to gauge pain based changes in his activity.

Dr. James :

If he is playing all day without obvious discomfort eye rubbing, then there is likely no pain.

Dr. James :

Regarding changes in vision, yes that is difficult to tell in young kids. Again, you would have to use other clues such as being more fussy, falling, etc.

Dr. James :

The best way to check for vision is to main your regular appointments with his ophthalmologist.

Customer:

he was getting cyclopentolate 3 times a day but they told us to stop about a week ago...should we keep using it?

Dr. James :

No, you can stop it.

Dr. James :

This is a dilating eye drop which helps with post-operative pain.

Customer:

ok so no drops will help?

Dr. James :

Not needed for subconjunctival hemorrhage and he appears comfortable.

Customer:

ok....his doc is closed, obviously and we are headed to the beach for a week tomorrow so I just wanted to make sure his eye is okay before we left. Thank you!

Dr. James :

You're welcome.

Please remember to press the accept button so I can receive credit for assisting you today.