Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

fall asleep when viewing presentation screen

Customer Question

When I look at a computer screen or a large presentation screen, I immediately feel sleepy and in some cases have fallen asleep within minutes. Sometimes I am totally asleep or eyes closed and cant open them for a while but can still hear. I went to a company meeting at a large venue recently. It was as 9.30am. I had a good nights sleep and did not feel sleepy. within 10 minutes of the presentation starting my head dropped forwards, eye closed - what is this and how do I counteract this problem it is driving me mad.It does not happen when watching TV or going to the cinema to see a film. It is only the big presentation screens used in meetings or my pc screen.   I wear glasses and have my eyes checked recently. I do suffer from fibromyalga. Lorraine

please send answer via web page thank you

Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

JACUSTOMER-mnt1dgtm- :

mad.It does not happen when watching TV or going to the cinema to see a film. It is only the big presentation screens used in meetings or my pc screen. I wear glasses and have my eyes checked recently. I do suffer from fibromyalga. Lorraine

JACUSTOMER-mnt1dgtm- :

When I look at a computer screen or a large presentation screen, I immediately feel sleepy and in some cases have fallen asleep within minutes. Sometimes I am totallyIt was as 9.30am. I had a good nights sleep and did not feel sleepy. within 10 minutes of the presentation starting my head dropped forwards, eye closed - what is this and how do I counteract this problem it is driving me It does not happen when watching TV or going to the cinema to see a film. It is only the big presentation screens used in meetings or my pc screen. I wear glasses and have my eyes checked recently. I do suffer from fibromyalga

JACUSTOMER-mnt1dgtm- :

Sorry it is a bit messy, I cut and pasted incorrectly.

Expert:  Dr. PG replied 5 years ago.
Kindly give some more information regarding your question -
- do feel sleepy only while sitting in a presentation or otherwise also?
- do you feel fresh when you get up in the morning?
- any eye drops that have been prescribed?
- do you exercise regularly?
- is your fibromyalgia under control?
Regards
Expert:  Dr. PG replied 5 years ago.
Kindly give more information that I have asked, to help answer your question.
regards,
Dr. PG
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

do feel sleepy only while sitting in a presentation or otherwise also? yes
- do you feel fresh when you get up in the morning? sometimes
- any eye drops that have been prescribed? no
- do you exercise regularly? no
- is your fibromyalgia under control? i take painkillers. I do not feel that my medication is the cause of my unpredicted sleep.

At the last presentation, I was really interested in the topic, within a short space of time my eyes closed and out to sleep I went, although I could still hear what was being said. I managed to wake up. Only to find that it allhappened again within a few mins. My head like jelly fell forwards and that was that. It is very embarrasing please can you help.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
your issue sounds like it is not primarily related to your eyes or visual symptoms. I suggest you see your primary care physician for a complete physical exam with the idea that you may be suffering from some form of narcolepsy.

Your doctor may want to do a sleep test and, perhaps, take a sample of your spinal fluid looking for special protein markers.

Does this make sense to you?

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)
I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.