Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Good Morning Dr. Rick. Thank you for contacting me. I do

Good Morning Dr. Rick. Thank you for contacting me. I do want to correspond with you. When my husband had the tests in SF at the Pacific Med Center, we both felt the doctor was rushed and constantly interrupted by personal phone calls. They did the yellow dye test but not the green. There is a definite spot on lower left back of the eyeball. It may have been there for awhile and no one caught it before. The doctor gave us very vague information and talked into his dictaphone the entire time. What we got out of the conversation was: Its borderline. He doesn't know. It may be benign or it may be malignant. It may have been there for years and it may not change for many years. That was it. He wants to see him in three months. The doctor here in Wats. is waiting for the written report so that he can go over it with us. In my opinion it has been too long to get the report. Three weeks. So...we would like to have another opinion. Can you recommend a doctor at Stanford, Palo Alto Medical Foundation or Univ. Cal SF? I have had many, many hip surgeries at all three of these hospitals and I consider them the best in Northern California. If you can recommend the very best, XXXXX XXXXX matter where it is, we will go. Our internest said that if it is melanoma they will remove the entire eyeball. Is that correct? I have had a recent incident with this internest and I am changing doctors because of it. He panicked and I almost had an appendix removed when there wasn't a need. I was sent to emergency on a rush. The CT scan said possible, but hard to read with my scar tissue from previous surgeries. He rushed me to emergency, did not call the surgeon as he said he was. And I laid in er bed for 5 hours. The ER Doctor kept trying to call him and he didn't return the call. The doctor and nurses all said that my blood counts were normal, and I didn't have the symptoms of an appendicitis attack. The ER doctor waited for the surgeon to show up. ER called the surgeon at 11:45pm . He had never received a call to meet me in emergency. He sent me home. Needless to say I am livid and have turned it over to insurance. I have asked my orthopaedic surgeon at PAMF to recommend an internest here in Santa Cruz. PAMF has taken over a hospital, built a very large building for doctors and testing and acquired several clinics. If you know anyone here affiliated with PAMF, I would appreciate it. However my husbands eye is most critical Thank you for your time in reading this. Susan
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

If it is a melanoma, it usually means the eyeball is removed, however, Dr's Shields at Wills Eye Hospital are able to save the eye in some cases of melanoma. I really don't know any good ocular oncologists in the Northern California area although I am sure there may be one at UCSF. If it were me or one of my family members I would go see Dr. Jerry or Carol Shields at Wills Eye Hospital in Philadelphia.

Dr. Rick :

Sorry you are having so much trouble. If you get the doctors report I would be happy to go over it with you. You can upload it to me like this:

Dr. Rick :

Scan it into your computer and put it on your desktop.

Dr. Rick :

Go to www.tinypic.com

Upload your picture to the site tinypic.com by browsing for it as directed.

Once you do that it gives you a bunch of links you can use, one of which says "direct link for layouts" It is important to use this box. It is the forth one down from the top of the page.

Copy the link from inside this box and then paste it into your justanswer dialog box and send it to your expert.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help. Let me know how things go.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest