Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

I have a large mean looking stye on the lower lid of my left

Customer Question

I have a large mean looking stye on the lower lid of my left eye. It has grown to the size of a single shelled peanut. My doctor prescribed 100MG of Doxycycline Hyclate twice a day which I have been taking for about a week. I also clean the area carefully with optical cleansing napkins and have applied warm compresses regularly. About 12 hours ago it broke the expanding skin just slightly and a small mixture of water and puss had to be wiped away. The round base of it is quite hard and the top of it is now part open with a scab beginning to form on the surface. I have taken a couple of photos for reference and put them on my web server – you can see them here:

My question is this: Could this be lanced and drained to heal more quickly or should I just continue what I have been doing. It looks terrible and I am afraid that it will harden and stay in the same way that you see at smaller gland openings around my eye. You can also see in the photo that I fight outbreaks of rosasea on my nose and forehead occasionally. My opthamologist says I have occular rosasea at play here as well.

What is your opinion? Is there any other way to deal with this? What are your recommendations? Thank you, XXXXX Malibu, California
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 5 years ago.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Doctor DanB :

Thank you for the pictures. They're very helpful. I think what you have been doing is exactly the right thing. Now that it has opened up I would continue to do the hot compresses full tilt and massage the bump while the compress is on there. The ultimate goal in getting this to heal is to get the clogged oil gland draining, either through the normal orifice of the oil gland or through the front of the lesion. Once open, the hot compresses can help it to continue to heal. Of course, there is always the chance that there is a hard residual part left that doesn't resolve. If that's the case, then it would need to be opened up all the way by your ophthalmologist.

Doctor DanB :

I definitely think your ocular rosacea is at play here. You can decrease the incidence of styes as well as help your eyes feel better and your vision to be more stable by treating the inflammation that is inherent in your eyelids as a result of the rosacea. The way to do that is to do the following daily: 1. hot compresses and 2. eyelid scrubs. You should do hot compresses for 5-10 minutes over each eye at the same time. It should be as hot as you can tolerate without burning your skin, massaging the eyelids while they are on there. Then, use either commercially available preparations or a dilute baby shampoo solution to scrub your eyelashes on all 4 eyelids. The commercially available preparations are called Ocusoft or Sterilid which are both over-the-counter eyelash scrubbing treatments. These cost more money but are quicker to use. Otherwise, the cheaper alternative is the dilute baby shampoo (4-5 drops Johnson's shampoo in 1/4 cup warm water), you will take the wipe (or dip a qtip in the dilute baby shampoo solution) and use that to scrub right on the eyelashes of each eyelid for 15 seconds. That will take 60 seconds when done to all 4 eyelids. The scrubbing is done right on the eyelid margin, where the eyelashes come out. After that, just splash some water on the eyes and you're done.

Doctor DanB :

Does this information help address your concerns? Does this make sense? Do you have any other concerns that I haven't addressed?

I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.

If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.

Doctor DanB : Do you have any questions about this?