Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

Bubble on the eyeball

Bubble on the eyeball

Doctor DanB :

Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?

Customer:

Yes

Doctor DanB :

Is this bubble on the white part of the eye? If so, is it on the outer part or the inner white part of the eye?

Customer:

On the white part under the eyelid.

Doctor DanB :

Is it clear?

Customer:

I cannot see it only feel it.

Doctor DanB :

Is it hard or is it soft and squishy?

Customer:

Feels hard!

Doctor DanB :

How long has it been there? Is it under the upper or lower eyelid?

Customer:

I only noticed it yesterday when rubbing my eyes, it is under the upper eyelid.

Doctor DanB :

This sounds like it is a common eyelid problem called a chalazion. A chalazion is basically a stye that has gone old and cold. A stye is just a blocked oil gland, where the oil, instead of getting out onto the surface of the eye, spills out inside the eyelid. The body's immune system starts to fight it, but if it can't resolve the blockage, the immune system will kind of wall off the spilled oil particles into a hard bump and leave it there--a chalazion.

Doctor DanB :

Most of these will resolve with intensive hot compresses.

Doctor DanB :

By intensive hot compresses I mean a compress as hot as you can tolerate, for 10 minutes each time, massaging the bump with the compress, and doing that 4x/day. It can take up to 2-3 weeks of doing that every day for it go away, but most will go away with that therapy.

Customer:

Thank you. But what do you mean exactly by intensive hot compresses ???

Doctor DanB :

If it doesn't go away after that, then the only way it will go away is by a procedure done by your eye doctor in his/her office.

Doctor DanB :

Did you see my explanation of intensive hot compresses? I think we were both typing at the same time.

Customer:

Ah yes. Thank you.

Doctor DanB :

You're welcome. Do you have any other questions about this I can help you with?

Customer:

No, that will be fine thank you.

Doctor DanB :

I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.

If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.