Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

anyone familiar with lasik surgery or does lasik surgery?

Customer Question

Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

what would you like to know about lasik?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
do you think the ALLEGRETTO WAVE® Eye-Q lazer is good to correct +6.25 with -4.75 astigmatism? Have you seen anyone get corrected to 20/20 with that?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Yes, if your cornea has a enough tissue available to be removed the laser is a good choice for the surgery. Of course, there is no guarantee of outcome but I have seen patients with similar Rx end up with 20/20 distance vision without the use of glasses after the surgery. Will you get this result? Perhaps. Perhaps not.

Does this make sense?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
really, you seen them get that good with the allegretto wave eye-q. i am scheduled for the procedure on Wednesday and am just nervous. i am afraid of my eyes getting worse then they already are or a bad complication.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Yes, I have. It is an excellent system......and I don't blame you for being nervous, after all it's only your vision your messing with :o)

I'm sure things will turn out OK, but remember, the risks are the risks and you never know when your number is XXXXX come up....

Does this make sense to you?

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)
I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
are the risks like major dry eyes? ewww, so it is a risk, that is what is so scary. i am afraid that those risks are even higher with my high prescription.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Yes, dry eyes are common after lasik although it usually resolves with time.

Only you can decide if the risks are worth the benefit of not being dependent on your glasses or not. If you are scared there is no harm in canceling your appt for Wednesday and thinking about it for a bit more. What difference would waiting a few weeks or months make?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yeah, that is true, i will have to think about the risks. in your opinion, if you had big prescription, with big magnify glasses, can't wear contacts because hard to fit, would you do it? or would the risks be too much? Just want an opinion from a professional like you that is not part of our community.? thanks for your help.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
I would do it.....although I must admit I have 20/15 vision without glasses :o)